Menu

Jamulus and Jack

Rick Wills
2021-04-02
2021-04-03
  • Rick Wills

Rick Wills - 2021-04-02

Advice please on this subject:

I am running Jamulus OS from hard disk ok, but am having issues with jack and Jamulus. Using the suggested settings for Jamulus, jack gives countless Xruns, making audio impossible to listen to (cracks, pops, dropouts). If i increase the frames/period setting from 128 to 1024 i have clear audio but a delay time within jamulus of 70mS or more making it unusable. I started using jamulus last summer, running with Ubuntu Studio and did not have this problem.....any ideas?? The hardware test option within Jamulus os gives my network and audio settings a clean result.

example error message:
    ERROR: JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
    Fri Apr 2 10:37:24 2021: ERROR: JackEngine::XRun: client = PulseAudio JACK Sink was not finished, state = Triggered

• Laurent Schwartz

Hello Rick,

It seems Pulseaudio is causing the error message. If you haven't got a modern PC then you should consider the following :

Extract from WIKI:

Audio optimisation

If you don't use pulseaudio to grab audio from web explorer like firefox or other pulseaudio capable applications, please don't activate the pulseaudio bridge in Ubuntu studio controls as it can take CPU even if you don't use it.

If you have a simple setup with Jamulus, you will not need pulseaudio bridge, so don't activate it (click on "remove input bridge" et "remove output bridge" buttons if any in Pulse Bridging tab and then click "Apply audio settings" | all in Ubuntu Studio Controls)

Close all applications that you don't need especially web browser which can take a lot of CPU/RAM ... So it can slower your computer if you have not enough resources !

BR,
      Laurent

• Rick Wills

Rick Wills - 2021-04-02

Hi Laurent, my pc is only about 4 years old (quad core cpu 8gig ram). I
        tried your suggestion, no change. Like I said originally, on previous
        versions of Jamulus, I didn't suffer this problem and the hardware hasn't
        changed.

Regards, Rick.

On Fri, 2 Apr 2021, 10:47 Laurent Schwartz, eleandar@users.sourceforge.net
        wrote:

Hello Rick,

It seems Pulseaudio is causing the error message. If you haven't got a
        modern PC then you should consider the following :

Extract from WIKI:

Audio optimisation

If you don't use pulseaudio to grab audio from web explorer like firefox
        or other pulseaudio capable applications, please don't activate the
        pulseaudio bridge in Ubuntu studio controls as it can take CPU even if you
        don't use it.

If you have a simple setup with Jamulus, you will not need pulseaudio
        bridge, so don't activate it (click on "remove input bridge" et "remove
        output bridge" buttons if any in Pulse Bridging tab and then click "Apply
        audio settings" | all in Ubuntu Studio Controls)

Close all applications that you don't need especially web browser which
        can take a lot of CPU/RAM ... So it can slower your computer if you have
        not enough resources !

BR,
        Laurent

Jamulus and Jack
        https://sourceforge.net/p/jamulus-os/discussion/v2/thread/b8fb3555c1/?limit=25#1316/d23e

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
        https://sourceforge.net/p/jamulus-os/discussion/v2/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
        https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Laurent Schwartz

if using ubuntu studio controls doesn't work for you , then please try the following command lines to deactivate pulseaudio bridge with jack (CTRL+ALT+t to open a terminal):

pactl unload-module module-jack-sink;pactl unload-module module-jack-source;

The error message about pulseaudio that you show me should disappear. I attached some screenshot of qjackctl (Graphe button) on my setup so you can see what appear or disappear when pulse bridge is active/inactive.

This kind of problem can appear when:
          - the CPU is too high
          - realtime permissions (in ubuntu studio controls) is not initialized. (A visible red message appears when it is the case).

Beware that using pulseaudio with jack is not recommended ( https://jackaudio.org/faq/pulseaudio_and_jack.html ) and often causes this kind of problems ...

To reactivate pulseaudio bridge with jack after your testing or you can use ubuntu studio controls as well:

pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2;pactl load-module module-jack-source channels=2;

BR,
          Laurent