Menu

Mount hard disk at startup

pcar75
2021-03-05
2021-03-05
  • pcar75

pcar75 - 2021-03-05

(new topic , from "Multiple (simultaneous) applications using Jack/ALSA ?" question )
    "(...) Alternatively, if you have other question you can search on askubuntu.com
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/164926/how-to-make-partitions-mount-at-startu (...)" Laurent Schwartz

Merci Laurent,
    I had tried different ways to change /etc/fstab in terminal mode from various help posts in help.ubuntu.com/community , linuxise.com and other sites , but on rebooting, the original fstab had replaced my modified one !

I will try the "disks" option .

• Laurent Schwartz

It is possible that the fstab file is overwritten when using a USB persistent. It would work nicely on a regular install (hard drive).

You might want to create a personal script that mount your drive using sudo. On a USB persistent live session, it will not require any sudo password with the default account.

something like :

Example: script.sh

#!/bin/bash
      sudo mount /dev/sda1 /my-mount-point  

Then simply create an icon on your desktop that runs your script /path/to/script.sh

• Laurent Schwartz

Also, you can setup a session using RaySession. You will be able to start/close your audio software as well as setup your jack connexions and other things you need in one click.

• Laurent Schwartz

You can also start the script at session startup.

press CTRL+space and type "session". Then choose session start software and simply add your script to the configuration.

• pcar75

pcar75 - 2021-03-05

Again thanks for your much appreciated suggestions.
    Effectively my session preparation is a bit lenghty.

After a boot from JamulusOS USB key :
    1.0 Launch 'Disque Dur' icon (File Manager Thunar) to mount windows ntfs data partition
    2.0 Launch 'Stop Jamulus Service' ; so Jamulus server sees a free UDP port
    3.0 Launch Jamulus Server
    4.0 Launch QjackCtl
    4.2 QjackCtl > Setup ; verify that the right driver and parameters are set
    4.4 QjackCtl > Start
    5.0 Launch Jamulus client
    5.2 Jamulus client > Connect > 127.0.0.1 (loopback address) ; verify if audio is OK
    6.0 Launch VLCPlayer
    6.2 VLCPlayer > Media > Open A File > navigate to my hard disk and load my playlist
    7.0 QjackCtl > Graph > Disconnect PulseAudio JACK Sink from system/playback
    7.2 QjackCtl > Graph > Connect PulseAudio JACK Sink to Jamulus/input
    7.4 QjackCtl > Graph > Disconnect system/capture from PulseAudio JACK Source
    7.6 Test that guitar-mixer and VLCPlayer can be heard in Jamulus
    8.0 Launch my notes (Windows-Linux text files used with Mousepad from ulaunchers)
    9.0 Disconnect Jamulus client from loopback address and connect to the session's server.

a) item 1.0 : This icon was already present, and hovering the mouse over it will warn if it's not mounted.
    b) item 2.0 : sometimes, the Jamulus Service seems to have 'hanged' from previous boot/session
    c) item 7.0 and 7.4 : As I interpreted your suggestion, so no system generated sounds/notifications would go to Jamulus through PulseAudio.
    d) Item 7.0 : I used the QjacjCtl > Patchbay panel to generate a configuration file. Now After a few reboots between OSs, 7.2 is now always set, but not 7.0 nor 7.4
    e) item 8.0 : As I update notes to the same text files in Windows and jamulusos, I found that symbolic-link files in Unix/Linux behave differently than in Windows; if modified, Linux will replace a symlink file -at its location- with the actual modified file. So I used a launcher to access these file on my Windows partition with Mousepad.

I'll see what I can automate with your suggestions.

Sorry for the elaborate text but I hope it may help someone else.
    Merci pour ta patience :-)