Hardware test fails on JamulusOS-dev

Phil B
2020-08-25
2020-09-03
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Phil B

Phil B - 2020-08-25

Hi,

I've run the script "jamulus-upgrade-v1.07.run" on Ubuntu MATE 20.04.1, I get a message stating the installation is successfull, however the hardware settings test freezes when testing the audio card. I have the same issue on my latptop (older i5 CPU with 8 gig ram) and my desktop (very old i7 with 12GB ram).

I've also tried the Jamulus OS v1.06 on a USB stick and everything works fine on both machines.

Any suggestions much appreciated and thanks for this great piece of software.

• Laurent Schwartz

Hello Phil,

In order to understand what's going wrong could you send me the output of:

jamulus-audio-check -d -vvv

Alternatively you can try this version which is newer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BeubvV2Oon4ws1djh74fKf_wzM-lx-Ua/view?usp=sharing

Download and install it : sudo dpkg -i jamulus-os-utils_1.0-2_all.deb

• Phil B

Phil B - 2020-08-25

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for the prompt response.
      I was in the process of testing Ubuntu 20.04.1 to see if the issue was related to MATE rather than regular Ubuntu.
      On a new install of Ubuntu 20.04.1 I've done the following;-
      Test #1 I ran the script jamulus-upgrade-v1.07 without realtime priorities enabled. The jamulus hardware test froze when scanning the audio card.
      Test #2 I ran the script jamulus-upgrade-v1.07 with realtime priorities enabled. The jamulus hardware test froze when scanning the audio card.
      Test #3 I applied the updates using your link above and the hardware test froze again.

I've attached the results of $ jamulus-audio-check -d -vvv in the attachment for all three tests.

I'll repeat the tests on Ubuntu MATE later but the symptoms appear to be the same.

• kieran

kieran - 2020-08-25

Hi Laurent,

I have had problems too.

I used the Jamulus OS on usb stick to create a partition on an SSD. The hardware probe worked fine. I think it is (xfce on Ubuntu 19.10 ?).

I updated to Jamulus 3.5.10 plus updated to 20:04.
    Again all worked fine. With a USB headset the hardware check took around 84" to complete.

I added a 'native ubuntu desktop' so I could choose on logon and again all worked fine but was slower at 116". I noticed later that the nohup file had many errors in it.
    e
    On the same machine I then installed the 'Mate Desktop' and this time the hardware prob crashed after sitting on the 'initialization' screen. It timed out after 87" and nohup has many errors.

Just for kicks, I created a new partition with Ubuntu-Cinnamon remix, This refused to even load the customised software 1.0.7.

Finally I created a new partition with Mint Cinnamon. This ran the software but crashed. However, I could manually setup Jack and Jamulus workwed well.

I should also add that I have an old laptop that has ubuntu Mate installed. I have messed around with studio modules being installed and removed. I am bit suprised but your hardware probe works on that.

Let me know if you want me to test or send you nything.
    Kieran.

• Laurent Schwartz

i will say that this install-package is really experimental and has not been tested widely but this was clearly announce in previous threads ...

Thanks for taking time to test it.

As your tests were done on the same hardware, the problem is probably the jack configuration/installation rather than a card issue. The software was developped on ubuntustudio. There may be jack installation/configuration differences on your installations ...

Last edit: Laurent Schwartz 2020-08-25
  • Laurent Schwartz

I lower the timeout.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aAM3j_gztT5XlVRK2lUmaG2lU-wsVePg/view?usp=sharing

Please install this install-package version and runjamulus-audio-check -d -vvv

The freeze is may be a jack related configuration issue or a card issue.

This software version will also freeze but will show you a message on what's going wrong. Please wait until the timeout message shows up (the timeout duration is now 10 seconds).

• kieran

kieran - 2020-08-25

Laurant,
    When it crashed on Mint-Cinnamon, the OS reported that the usr/bin/speedtest failed.
    I attach the screen shots if that helps.

I will try the new version above and let you know.

By the way, we are are not critising you or the code. We understand this is really tough to write and test for so many variants. We really appreciate what all you coders do and we are all one big team.

Last edit: kieran 2020-08-25
    • Laurent Schwartz

Thanks for the detailed report.

speedtest is a program used by jamulus-network-check to probe the network but i don't have the hand on it.

I have notice that sometimes it crashes but most of the time rerun the test will handle the situation.

Please report to launchpad if you can reproduce your error by fullfilling a bug report on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/speedtest-cli

BR,
      Laurent

• Phil B

Phil B - 2020-08-25

Laurent,

Thanks for all your work on this. I'll try some more testing tomorrow and let you know the results. If you require any specific output please let me know.

Many thanks

Phil

• kieran

kieran - 2020-08-26

Hi Laurant,

The results looks positive so far for your new code 1.0.8 but I think we maybe found 2 problems here. Your new code has resolved the first one:

1) older pc taking longer and timing out to test a 'sound card'. You code 1.0.8 appears to work.

2) there appears also to be a problem when the 'hardware probe' finds a newer graphics card with a HDMI soundcard in it. In My case a Radion RX550 graphics card but I suspect same with any HDMI. The probe tries the HDMI but just freezes (see attached pic). I cannot foresee anyone using HDMI audio for Jamulus purposes. What about the hardware probe lists the sound cards it has found at the beginning and asking the user to select which ones to test? Maybe with a note warning about HDMI soundcards possible freezing the h/w probe? That way we could also untick the 'internal sound card' as it I don't think many people use it anyway.

Also I found the your new code only ran once in the terminal screen. It fails if you run it twice. I needed to beboot the os to get it to run again.

I have also found that your generic code (1.07 etc) appears to 'like' ubuntu as the core OS. So any desktop on top of Ubuntu core works well. It failed on Mint-Cinnamon but works on Ubuntu-Cinnamon, Will do more testing this afternoon as my wife is insisting that I paint the front of the house now ;-(

Kieran.

• Laurent Schwartz

Thanks @kieran and @phil for reporting bugs.

Ubuntu is indeed the Linux distribution on top of this project development. I'm not aware of other distribution audio specific conf/installation.

In a first time, i've done a new version that has a timeout and pass through any found error until there are no sound card left to probe. Be patient.

I checked that this new version can be run several times at least on my conf.

For newer version, i think about adding a sound card selection screen to probe only the required audio hardware.

The jamulus version has also been updated to 3.5.10.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ip37lJL0DOO8RwjvLxPhKqmeskZbt2lJ/view?usp=sharing

If you validate this version, i will push it in download section.

BR,
    Laurent

• Phil B

Phil B - 2020-08-26

Bonjour Laurent,

I've had very limited time to test today but just to be sure I had no interference from any other application I re-installed Ubuntu 20.0.1 and updated the OS to be fully up to date.
    I ran the "jamulus-upgrade-v1.08.run" script and Jamulus installed successfully.
    Unfortunately the jamulus hardware test still failed, the output from jamulus-audio-check is shown below;-

$ jamulus-audio-check -d -vvv
    arg debug
    arg verbose
    language set to en_GB:en

debug:verbose:progress-file=/tmp/tmp.SndcF0pMqX-audio/jac.progress.tmp:status-file=/tmp/tmp.SndcF0pMqX-audio/jac.status:max-xruns=1:test-time=10:good-parameters-file=/tmp/tmp.SndcF0pMqX-audio/jac.good_parameters.tmp:jack-server-name=default
    /usr/bin/qjackctl: no process found

AUDIO CONFIGURATION OF THIS COMPUTER

/usr/bin/jackd: no process found
    Stopping jack ...'/usr/bin/jack_control'
    Stopping pulseaudio ... '/usr/bin/pulseaudio'
    0 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
    HDA Intel HDMI at 0xf7e34000 irq 53
    1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
    HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7e30000 irq 52
    0:00:HDMI: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
    ID: 0
    NUM: 00
    CARD_LONGNAME: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
    CARD_NAME: HDMI
    DUPLEX ?:

0 HDMI HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI internal
    Setting engine and driver parameters ...
    --- engine param set "name" -> "TEST0"
    --- driver select "alsa"
    --- engine param set "realtime" -> "true"
    --- driver param set "rate" -> "48000"
    --- driver param set "period" -> "512"
    --- driver param set "device" -> "hw:HDMI"
    --- driver param set "playback" -> "hw:HDMI"
    --- driver param set "capture" -> "hw:HDMI"

Output Frozen control c to end

^C

/usr/bin/jamulus-audio-check interrupted !
    /usr/lib/libjamulus-os-utils: line 46: kill: (23676) - No such process
    /usr/lib/libjamulus-os-utils: line 46: kill: (23673) - No such process
    Starting pulseaudio ... '/usr/bin/pulseaudio'
    set jack server to default ...
    --- engine param set "name" -> "default"
    EXIT_CODE:2

I updated Jamulus to 3.5.10 but the hardware test was the same.

Is there anything else I can try or you'd like me to test?

As the test from the Jamulus OS version works fine is there any tests I can run from that version to compare with the tests run on Ubuntu 20.04?

BR

Phil

• Laurent Schwartz

Thanks @Phil for taking time to test.

It's possible that the probing looks like it's frozen but it is likely not. How many time did you wait before stopping jamulus-audio-check ?

Could you please rerun the test and let the program run for several minutes, if not yet done ?

• Phil B

Phil B - 2020-08-27

Laurent,

For one of the hardware tests on Ubuntu I left my PC running for quite some time probably in excess of 20 minutes.

Is there anything to be gained in comparing the results from the Jamulus OS hardware test which completes successfully?

• Laurent Schwartz

For one of the hardware tests on Ubuntu I left my PC running for quite some time probably in excess of 20 minutes.

Thanks for clarifying this point, it seems there is a problem unhandled ... Could you please rerun the test and give me the output ? (jamulus-audio-check -d -vvv)

Is there anything to be gained in comparing the results from the Jamulus OS hardware test which completes successfully?

You can install the upgrade package on top of jamulusOS if not already done to be sure that the new version work as well as JamulusOS v1.06 package on your hardware setup. This would confirm that other failure are dependant on the environment ... (installation / configuration).

• Phil B

Phil B - 2020-08-28

Laurent,

As requested see below the ouput from jamulus-audio-check -d -vvvv on an Ubuntu 20.04.1 system after using the v1.08 script. I did leave the test for approximatly 5 minutes to complete after which I stopped it with ^C

I've also attached a text file test using the Jamulus OS which works fine.

Many thanks...............

Output from Ubuntus 20.04.1 Jamulus hardware test;-
          $ jamulus-audio-check -d -vvv
          arg debug
          arg verbose
          language set to en_GB:en

debug:verbose:progress-file=/tmp/tmp.1A7dvD6tPL-audio/jac.progress.tmp:status-file=/tmp/tmp.1A7dvD6tPL-audio/jac.status:max-xruns=1:test-time=10:good-parameters-file=/tmp/tmp.1A7dvD6tPL-audio/jac.good_parameters.tmp:jack-server-name=default
          /usr/bin/qjackctl: no process found

AUDIO CONFIGURATION OF THIS COMPUTER

/usr/bin/jackd: no process found
          0 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
          HDA Intel HDMI at 0xf7e34000 irq 53
          1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
          HDA Intel PCH at 0xf7e30000 irq 52
          0:00:HDMI: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
          ID: 0
          NUM: 00
          CARD_LONGNAME: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
          CARD_NAME: HDMI
          DUPLEX ?:

0 HDMI HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI internal
          Setting engine and driver parameters ...
          --- engine param set "name" -> "TEST0"
          --- driver select "alsa"
          --- engine param set "realtime" -> "true"
          --- driver param set "rate" -> "48000"
          --- driver param set "period" -> "512"
          --- driver param set "device" -> "hw:HDMI"
          --- driver param set "playback" -> "hw:HDMI"
          --- driver param set "capture" -> "hw:HDMI"
          ^C

/usr/bin/jamulus-audio-check interrupted !
          /usr/lib/libjamulus-os-utils: line 46: kill: (29624) - No such process
          /usr/lib/libjamulus-os-utils: line 46: kill: (29621) - No such process
          Starting pulseaudio ... '/usr/bin/pulseaudio'
          set jack server to default ...
          --- engine param set "name" -> "default"
          EXIT_CODE:2

• kieran

kieran - 2020-08-26

Hi Guys,

Just to confirm my test setup today, I used the original jamulus iso, installed to an ssd. Upgraded Jamulus to 3.5.10, Ubuntu to 20.04. Added several desktops that I could selected on logon. Now have XFCE, Cinnamon, Gnome, Mate.

I ran Laurants new 1.0.8 hardware probe. This was on a slightly older desktop with an internal sound card, usb gaming headset and an old radion graphics card without HDMI.

Mate failed. Sounds like the same as Phil. It froze after 'stopping pulse audio' thats even before the 1st test.

Then I moved the ssd to a faster desktop. This had 16gb ram + radion RX550 (with hdmi)
    So now 3 sound cards to test.

Again Mate was the only one to fail.

Cinnamon on Ubuntu had the quickest overall completion at 1'54 , with a joint 2nd place for xfce + Gnome at 2'44". Quite a big difference there.

Finally I installed Unbuntu-Cinnamon-Remix. This started testing and quickly completed the internal and usb headphones. However it stalled on the HDMI. If you probe could detect nothing is happening when on the HDMI and end peacefully, we could be there too on U-C-R.

So now need to do a fresh/clean build of cinnamon on ubuntu 20.04, load latest Jamulsua nd confirm it still works.

May I ask, if the probe finds two valid soundcards that test down to say 128, which one does QJackctl keep the details of ?

• Laurent Schwartz

May I ask, if the probe finds two valid soundcards that test down to say 128, which one does QJackctl keep the details of ?

The jack server settings are updated (but not persistent, it will be overided if you start qjackctl ... or if you reboot). So if you use Jamulus in same X session, the jack server will start with the selected configuration (one from the jamulus-hw-check result list). QJackctl is not modified, you need to report manually the settings that you want to use in any case in the software that you use for setting jack (ubuntustudio controls, claudia, qjackctl ...). And this change will persist.

Finally I installed Unbuntu-Cinnamon-Remix. This started testing and quickly completed the internal and usb headphones. However it stalled on the HDMI. If you probe could detect nothing is happening when on the HDMI and end peacefully, we could be there too on U-C-R.

That was the aim of the last package rework. It detects that there is a timeout or an error, report the timeout / error but does not fail (simply ignore it and continue processing sound cards if any but it can take some time)

So it seems that Ubuntu Mate handle sound in a special way ...

@kieran Have you got any information (jamulus-audio-check -d -vvv) for UCR and Mate that will let me try to understand what's going on ?

Last edit: Laurent Schwartz 2020-08-26
  • kieran

kieran - 2020-08-27

Re Ubuntu-Mate test,

In the terminal screen I typed 'jamulus-audio-check -d -vvv'

Your code runs until:

*'stopping pulse audio ...'/usr/pulseaudio'

...The cursor flashes 10 times then stops.
    ...Then after 63" i get the 'stop_pulseaudio : a timeout occured, the program, will be halt !
    (see pic attached)

Is there any other files / data to give you ?

Last edit: kieran 2020-08-27
    • Laurent Schwartz

Thanks @kieran for this report. It seems you forgot to attach the picture. I will have a look at the code.

• kieran

kieran - 2020-08-27

now attached to original post

• kieran

kieran - 2020-08-27

whoops. I will start-up that partition again.

In the meantime, I attach the pic from Ubun-Cinn-Remix.
    It successfully probes the internal and USB headset s/cards then freezes on the HDMI one.
    It froze for around 3 mins and I interupted it with ctl+c

• kieran

kieran - 2020-08-27

On a slight side issue but still related, I think the xfce desktop is a surpising choice for the Jamulus OS desktop. I think it fairly unfriendly, a little intimidating and not that intuitive an environment - especially for Linux beginners who will probable be musicians.

Personally I think Cinnamon is the 'nicest', then Ubuntu-Mate.

• Laurent Schwartz

The XFCE choice was driven by performance.

The aim was to minimize CPU and memory usage. I would rather be interested in using lxqt/lxde but they are still in development and seemed to me less user friendly compared to XFCE.

• kieran

kieran - 2020-08-28

Hi Laurant,

Today I created a new partition, installed the standard Ubuntu 20.04.1 (with its Gnome Desktop), I added Xfce + Cinnamon desktops - selectable at logon. Plus the Jamulus software but the hardware probe froze in all desktops environents when it reached the HDMI soundcard on the Radion Graphice card.

All 3 of these deskop environments worked when I installed the Jamulus ISO to a partition and (...painfully) updgraded to Jam 3.5.10 + Ubuntu 20.04.1, added the desktops etc.

Details of build:
    Desktop PC, Intel© Core™ i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz × 4, 16 gb ram
    Ubuntu 20.04.1 + latest updates
    Jamulus 3.5.10
    Jamulus Utils 1.0.2
    Harware probe 1.0.8
    DID NOT INSTALL LOW LATENCY OPTION

I downloaded Jamulus 3.5.10 from:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/llcon/files/Jamulus/3.5.10/

...and followed the Jamulus Install instructions at
    https://github.com/corrados/jamulus/wiki/Installation-for-Linux

As per those instructions I configured Jack/ qjackctl manually and all worked with great low overall latency of 26ms.

I then installed the jamulus-os-utils_1.0-2_all.deb

I installed your v1.0.8 using the install method for v1.0.7 here
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/jamulus-os/files/JamulusOS/v1/install-package/

All the desktop enviroments ran the hardware probe in the same way and just froze when it found the HDMI on the graphics card. I attach the terminal screen output.

I also just want to also add that your hardware probe is a game changer in getting new users to try Jamulus. The majority of newbies are put off quickly by software not working quickly and easily - so please keep up the good work.

I have kept the partition with the 3 desktops so please feel free to ask me to try something.

Best Wishes,
    Kieran

Last edit: kieran 2020-08-29
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)