Menu

jameleon vs selenium

Help
2007-02-18
2013-04-25
  • siva papineni

siva papineni - 2007-02-18

Hi,
      How does Jameleon compare against Selenium . I know Selenium has multi-language wrappers and multi-browser support.
    What benefits does Selenium plug-in+ Jameleon add to the feature list of Selenium?
    I have used Jameleon and pretty impressed with it but Selenium seems to be the latest fad in open circles these days. I just want to see how Selenium is different from Jameleon.

Thanks,
    Siva

• Christian Hargraves

In my eyes, I see Selenium and Jameleon as two different offerings. Selenium is a possible solution to help automate your web application testing. Jameleon is more of a testing harness that is independent of the particular solution used to drive the tests.

Jameleon provides solutions to several common problems that QA/development teams end up having to solve once their automation starts to grow. The list of benefits that Jameleon provides is documented on the homepage (http://jameleon.sourceforge.net/). A few of the solutions Jameleon provides are:

- Easily data-drive your tests.
      - Easily change the environment to run a given set of scripts against w/o having to have in-
        depth knowledge of the environment.
      - Keeps a library of self-documenting keywords or functions that have already been automated.
        This library can be accessed either through the GUI or through the generated HTML documents.
      - Helps nurture code-reuse and therefore reducing common code across test scripts.
      - Use several plug-ins in the same script.
      - Test scripts become the documents. No need to go into code just to figure out what the
        script does.