Static vs. dynamic data tables

2009-01-20
2012-12-07
  • Libor Nenadál

Libor Nenadál - 2009-01-20

Hello,
    today I tried Jailer and its output looks very promising. Nevertheless I'm using it on a large database schema for creation of datasets for unit tests and I think it would be great feature to split schema into 2 sets - one with dynamic data (there would be tables like let's say Orders) and one with static data (some code tables). And extraction would extract the dynamic tables only and for static tables it would just expect that they are filled already.
    This would help with issue when I have table that has mandatory reference to some static data table that is populated from installation. I know that it is achievable using restrictions but just simple marking of pre-populated tables in model would be more easier.

Best regards,
    sax

• Ralf Wisser

Ralf Wisser - 2009-01-20

Hi,

If I understand you right, you want to import data into a database where some tables are already filled (static, for instance: ROLE table in demo model), and the others are initially empty (dynamic, for instance: PROJECT_PARTICIPIATION table).

We have two options here:

1. the static tables are still considered during extraction, but rows from that tables are omitted from generated data-set.

This way it would still be possible to choose a static table as subject table.
      For example, you could extract all PROJECT_PARTICIPIATIONs of given ROLE by choosing the (static) ROLE table as subject, but you don't have any ROLE-rows in your data-set.

2. static tables are completely ignored.

This is already achievable by deleting all "static" tables. Open the datamodel editor (Tools->Data Model Editor). Here you can delete all tables which are not relevant for your test datasets.

Best regards,

Ralf Wisser

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks