Menu

BinauralCochleaEvent class variables meaning

Help
2017-08-11
2017-08-14
  • Leslie S Smith

Leslie S Smith - 2017-08-11

BinauralCochleaEvent 's (subclass of CochleaEvent, subclass of TypedEvent, subclass of BasicEvent) have class variables x, y, type, timestamp and Ear. I understand that x is the bandpass channel, and timestamp is the time in uS, and Ear is RIGHT or LEFT. I'd expected either type or y to be the level of the spike (which neuron it emanates from), and so to be 1 to 4 or 0 to 3, but both y and type seem to be 8, 12, 16 rather than smaller numbers. Also y and type seem to be the same (or was that just for theb ones I looked at?).

Is the any documentation on how the BinauralCochleaEvent class variables are used?

• Tobi Delbruck

Tobi Delbruck - 2017-08-13

Hi Leslie, it is documented in the source code for CochleaAMS1c. I
      recommend using the "Find usages" for the event class and to look in the
      javadoc I wrote. I tried to put down the precise definitiions as I
      developed that class and the EventExtractor for it. Hope this helps. Let
      me know if you need more tips about it.

• Leslie S Smith

Leslie S Smith - 2017-08-14

Many thanks for that: I'd had some problems creating the doc info under Eclipse (managed now). Have found detailed info on extracted events: still 1 question (but considering the volume of documentation, I may simply have missed it). Inside the depressing synapse event filter (DepressingSynapseFilter, net.sf.jaer.eventprocessinhfilter.DepressingSynapseFilter.java), type and y are between 8 and 15 (and not 16 as I wrote above). I now understand that for this sort of event, type = y, I take it that they have been unpackaged from a tight representation that the events come in as. I had thought this used getYFromAddress in CochleaAMS1c.Extractor, but all the values I actually see are between 8 and 15. I'm definately feeling my self a newbie on this code...

Last edit: Leslie S Smith 2017-08-14
  • Leslie S Smith

Looking at the values in e.y and e.type: they both seem to be always the same, and between 8 and 15: suggests a 4 bit value with a 1 for neuron firing and 0 for not firing. Bit 3 (msb) set for most sensitive neuron output. Is this right? Is this documented anywhere?

• Sim Bamford

Sim Bamford - 2017-08-11

Hi Leslie,

I expect someone will get back to you soon about the jAER implementation, though note that the project moved to github. In the meantime, if you'd like to look at recorded data in Matlab, you can import a .aedat file recorded from jaer using:

https://github.com/Inivation/AedatTools

Look at the exampleImportAedat.m script for an example of how to import the data.

Cheers
    Sim

• Leslie S Smith

Hi Sim: got that to work - had to add line 'Das1' 'cochleaams1cv4' ; to the initialisation of devices in BasicSourceName.m. Now I need to look harder at the file formants beween the program, and the asdat output, since I want to write a slightly different depressing synapse.filter...

• Sim Bamford

Sim Bamford - 2017-08-11

Thanks for pointing that out - I've corrected it in the repository now.

For the file format, this document may help you:

https://inilabs.com/support/software/fileformat/#h.b6cs448dhp9