Menu

Using the multi-sender protocol

Help
Vincent
2007-08-03
2013-03-13
  • Vincent

Vincent - 2007-08-03

I'm trying to interfacing several chips to the USB2AER board. The /Req and /Ack from each chip are combined using logic gates, but it has to use multi-sender AER. I realise that the board accepts the single-sender single-receiver protocol by default. Is there a solution to this?

• Tobi Delbruck

Tobi Delbruck - 2007-08-03

Raphael - This is one for you. I think the board does multisender protocol - reads address after ack is asserted by the board - but am not sure about this.

There is a modified version of the CPLD configuration that makes the board into a 2-chip monitor, but requires a xilinx programmer to modify the CPLD configuration.

Tobi

• Vincent

Vincent - 2007-08-04

I think the board currently reads the address when /REQ goes low. For multi-sender, address should be read some time after ACK is asserted, or when /REQ goes high again.

• Tobi Delbruck

Tobi Delbruck - 2007-08-04

Yes, correct, the board presently reads the addr on req going low.

Can the CPLD configuration be modified for multisender mode?

Raphael - What hardware and software is necessary for CPLD tweaking?
      Tobi

• Raphael Berner

Raphael Berner - 2007-08-05

if you want to reprogram the CPLD, you need Xilinx ISE, which can be downloaded for free, and a programmer cable...

implementing a switch which lets you chose p2p or multisender unfortunately doesn't fit into the CPLD, you would have to program a multisender only version or drop something else (like synchronising).

BTW, tobi, do you have any news regarding the CPLD programming with the microcontroller?

raphael

• Vincent

Vincent - 2007-08-06

I don't mind converting the board into multi-sender only. What kind of programming cable do I need?

• Raphael Berner

Raphael Berner - 2007-08-06

you need a JTAG cable. there exist several versions from xilinx, either parallel or USB. but i guess, any JTAG programmer should do...

• Raphael Berner

Raphael Berner - 2007-08-06

here is the webpage with a list of xilinx programmers and also supported 3rd party programmers.
      http://www.xilinx.com/products/design_resources/config_sol/

here you can download the free Xilinx webpack software, with which you can compile VHDL and download it to the CPLD
      http://www.xilinx.com/ise/logic_design_prod/webpack.htm

• Vincent

Vincent - 2007-08-08

Thanks. I'll check them out.

• Raphael Berner

Raphael Berner - 2008-09-17

The CPLD can now easily by programmed through USB, no JTAG programmer cable is needed anymore.