Menu

Problems with configuring the PushBot WLAN module

Help
2017-02-17
2017-02-17
  • Andreas Rottach

Andreas Rottach - 2017-02-17

Hi,

I got a PushBot with an eDVS and a WLAN-Module from my supervisor at University and my task is to implement a simple optic-flow based robot navigation system.

At the moment I am trying to setup the WLAN module (Redpine Signals RS9110-H-11-22) with the USB-UART adapter, but I think the appropriate section in the pushbot documentation is not up to date. (https://inilabs.com/support/hardware/edvs/)

I am able to connect to the eDVS with the following UART settings in PUTTY:
    Baudrate: 12000000
    Databits: 8
    Stopbits: 1
    Parity: none
    FlowCtrl: RTS/CTS

The documentations says that the WLAN module uses the same settings, but I am not able to get a valid connection (I can't send or recieve any data). I tried different Baudrates (e.g. 4000000) but still no luck.

I connect the UART cable to the left connector (when the connectors are faceing to you) and the WLAN module starts flashing quickly after connecting the USB cable to my PC, excactly as mentioned in the documentation. What do I have to do, to properly connect to the WLAN module ?

Kind regards,
    Andreas Rottach

• Greg Burman

Greg Burman - 2017-02-20

Hi Andreas

I'm currently looking into this problem and will get back to you tomorrow or on Wednesday. If I remember correctly, there is a step missing in the documentation, though I can't quite remember what it is.

Cheers
    Greg

• Andreas Rottach

Andreas Rottach - 2017-02-22

Hi Greg,

thank you for your reply! It would be great if you could tell me the missing step until tomorrow.
    It took way longer as expected to get the pushbot delivered and I had to do my whole implementation in the last two months with offline data from a normal DVS128 camera.
    Now, I have only two weeks left to finish my project with the actual robot.

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
    Andreas

• Greg Burman

Greg Burman - 2017-02-23

Hi Andreas

I believe I've figured out the problem - the cable doesn't have an 'internal crossover', and so you need a crossover module and another cable in order for the modules to communicate, otherwise they essentially just 'talk at' each other and the communication is effectively blocked. I've included a picture of this setup.

I'm afraid that this is our mistake - I had remembered only working with single cables in the past which must have had the 'internal crossover' and so didn't think to include the crossover module and another cable. I will proceed to ship these to you today. I really apologize for the inconvenience, and hope that you receive it soon so you can finish your project.

Just to confirm: are you working at University of Ulm under Prof Heiko Neumann?

• Andreas Rottach

Andreas Rottach - 2017-02-23

Hi Greg,

now everything makes sense! This is the reason, why I didn't get any response from the module.

No Problem, thank you very much! I hope, now everythink works as expected. I still have to use the same UART settings to setup the device, am I right?

And yes, I am working at University Ulm unter Prof Neumann.

• Greg Burman

Greg Burman - 2017-02-23

Hi Andreas

Yes, exactly - I experienced exactly the same problem when I tried connecting with multiple wlan modules, until I used the crossover module. And yes, use the same settings, except change baudrate to 4000000, as I believe this is the default. You will know everything is working when the characters you type appear in the putty console window.

I have just put the module and cable out for delivery - I will email Prof Neumann separately with the tracking number.

• Andreas Rottach

Andreas Rottach - 2017-02-23

Hi Greg,

okay, thank you again!

I have one final question regarding the timestamp format E1 (I don't think this is important enought to create a new topic).
    The documentation says, that the delta timestamp is transmitted in 1 to 4 bytes, where each byte contains 7 bits of the timestamp. How to I construct the final delta timestamp out of theses single bytes? Do I just concatenate the individual bytes like this?
    --> 1. byte: bit 0 - 7
    2. byte: bit 8 - 15
    3. ....

• Andreas Rottach

Andreas Rottach - 2017-02-27

Hi again,

I finally recieved the crossover cable adapter for the WLAN module! With the new cable, I was able to setup the WLAN module and it now connects to my created WLAN hotspot.

But I noticed one issue. The WLAN module communiates with a baudrate of 4 M baud and the eDVS with 12 M baud. (Aside from that: I can connect to both modules over UART only in Windows. On Linux, where my c++ application is, I can't connect to the eDVS with 12 M baud. I use putty on both platforms. Do you have the same issue ?)

Anyway, when I connect the WLAN module (4 M baud) to the eDVS (12M baud), I can connect to the WLAN module with TCP/IP but I only recieve garbage data all the time. Is this caused by the different baudrates ? How do I fix this ? I can't change the WLAN modules baud rate to 12M baud and I can't find any switch to change the eDVS baudrate.

• Greg Burman

Greg Burman - 2017-02-27

Hi Andreas

I'm glad to hear you received the module.

To answer your question about the baudrates: to my knowledge, the baud rate on the WLAN module cannot be changed, but the baud rate on the eDVS can be. Earlier revisions of the eDVS shipped with a default 4 M baud, while never revisions ship with a default 12 M baud. There are two ways to change the baud rate: 1) open a connection to the device and issue the command !U=x in a Putty terminal, where x is the desired baud rate; 2) reflash the device with firmware that sets the default rate (find hex file attached).

Regarding the question about the E1 timestamp formats - unfortunately I don't know too much about it, so I've reached out the the relevant guy who understands it thoroughly. I should be able to get back to you with an answer later today or tomorrow.

Cheers
    Greg

• Greg Burman

Greg Burman - 2017-02-27

Hi Andreas

I'm glad to hear you received the module.

To answer your question about the baudrates: to my knowledge, the baud rate on the WLAN module cannot be changed, but the baud rate on the eDVS can be. Earlier revisions of the eDVS shipped with a default 4 M baud, while never revisions ship with a default 12 M baud. There are two ways to change the baud rate: 1) open a connection to the device and issue the command !U=x in a Putty terminal, where x is the desired baud rate; 2) reflash the device with firmware that sets the default rate (find hex file attached).

Regarding the question about the E1 timestamp formats - unfortunately I don't know too much about it, so I've reached out the the relevant guy who understands it thoroughly. I should be able to get back to you with an answer later today or tomorrow.

Cheers
    Greg

• Andreas Rottach

Andreas Rottach - 2017-02-27

Hi Greg,

I tried to flash your new firmware, but the flashing failed with "Operation Failed. Failed to autobaud - step 1". I followed the manual in the eDVS documentation.

I connected to the eDVS with Putty, and typed "P<enter>". I closed putty and opened FlashMagic.
    I used these settings:
    Device: LPC4337
    Flash Bank: A
    Com Port: COM 11
    Baud Rate: 115200 or 19200
    Interface: None (ISP)
    Oscillator (MHz): 12

I tried to set the eDVS baudrate to the same value as used by FlashMagic, but still no luck and I don't want to damage the firmware.

Kind regards,
    Andreas

• Greg Burman

Greg Burman - 2017-03-06

Hi Andreas

I'm sorry to have kept you waiting for a reply.

1. Baud rate
    I've just run through the instructions I gave you. I got the 'Failed to autobaud' error when I thought it failed the first time and threw the 'activating flash bank' error and tried replugging the USB cable. By unplugging it, I believe I kicked it out of programming mode, which causes the autobaud error to get thrown. As it turns out, depsite the 'activating flash bank' error coming up, it had successfully updated the firmware, and now starts up with 4 mbaud default.

Did you also follow this process? All the settings you posted look correct (just double check the com port).

2. E1 Timestamp Format
    The format works as follows: all timestamp formats E0 - E4 start with the same two bytes. E1 has variable length 3 - 6 bytes, depending on the resolution of the timestamp. The way you specify the number of timestamp bytes is with the MSB (most significant bit): the last timestamp byte has an MSB set to 1. Here are the possible formats for E1:

1yyyyyyy.pxxxxxxx.1ttttttt
    1yyyyyyy.pxxxxxxx.0ttttttt.1ttttttt
    1yyyyyyy.pxxxxxxx.0ttttttt.0ttttttt.1ttttttt
    1yyyyyyy.pxxxxxxx.0ttttttt.0ttttttt.0ttttttt.1ttttttt

I hope that answers all your queries.

Cheers
    Greg