Menu

[solved] jAER AEViewer flicker on OSX 10.9.5 on macbook pro 15" retina display

Help
2016-04-28
2017-01-22
  • Tobi Delbruck

Tobi Delbruck - 2016-04-28

On mac OSX, there is a problem with JOGL opengl rendering related somehow to the apple retina display.
    The symptom is a flickering display when rendering data in AEViewer. Actually the flicker is caused by alternating black and correct frames, or frames where the scale is correct and subsequent frames where the scale is completely wrong.

A solution to this that we just discovered is to make the AEViewer window very small. This seems to reset some internal variable related to rendering, possibly related to text rendering. After sizing the window small, it can be sized larger again with correct rendering. Verified on OSX 10.9.5 on macbook pro 15" retina display using Davis240C AEchip class.

• Anthony Ashbrook

We have just purchased a DAVIS240C and are experiencing this problem too. Unfortunately we've not been able to get the solution to work. The machines we have tried on are:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch) / OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.5
    MaxBook Air (13-inch) / OSX El Capitan Version 10.11.5

• Tobi Delbruck

Tobi Delbruck - 2016-06-09

If you could go deeper into the OpenGL and figure this out it would be great. Something about OpenGL or JOGL interface is different on MacOS. As I said, I have managed to solve it by scaling the display very small and then large again, but it doesn't always work. Why we have no idea. I can't debug it because I don't have the hardware.
    One place to look is in the class ChipCanvas, which has the method setDefaultProjection(), and the built in JOGL callback reshape(). That's where I would start.
    If you could debug at the point it draws the bogus "black" frame between the correct frames maybe you could see something going on there.

• Anthony Ashbrook

I can get a non-flickering display if I turn off events under the DAVIS menu (ToggleEvents) and then make the window small as described above. The flickering returns if I turn events on again unfortunately.

We may well look into the OpenGL but I think for now we will use a Linux machine.

• Tobi Delbruck

Tobi Delbruck - 2016-06-09

Good piece of evidence. Then it has to do with something of interaction between the textures used for displaying the different kinds of output. If I can get hold of a macos laptop for a few days I could try to figure it out. Sorry about the headache.

• Charbel Azzi

Charbel Azzi - 2017-05-10

Hello Tobi,

Is there any update regarding this problem?

• maxwell flitton

maxwell flitton - 2017-01-20

Is there any python support for and processing data for the DVS128?