Menu

Support for Access 2019?

baskar p
2021-04-14
2021-08-11
  • baskar p

baskar p - 2021-04-14

I see that there's no support for Access 2019. I get the following error while connecting to the 2019 DB.

java.io.IOException: Unsupported newer version: 6
            at com.healthmarketscience.jackcess.impl.JetFormat.getFormat(JetFormat.java:310)
            at com.healthmarketscience.jackcess.impl.DatabaseImpl.<init>(DatabaseImpl.java:538)
            at com.healthmarketscience.jackcess.impl.DatabaseImpl.open(DatabaseImpl.java:415)

Is there a support for 2019 planned soon?

• James Ahlborn

James Ahlborn - 2021-04-14

i wasn't aware there was a new database version out there.

i can't find much indication that there is a new database version and what changes it includes.

Last edit: James Ahlborn 2021-04-14
      • baskar p

baskar p - 2021-04-14

Thanks James. Following are the links which I could find info related to the latest version

What's New

2019 vs 2016

• James Ahlborn

James Ahlborn - 2021-04-14

yeah, i've seen similar stuff. nothing really indicates any changes which would actually affect the database format.

it's a simple fix to support all the current features in a new version though, so i can get that out pretty easily.

• James Ahlborn

James Ahlborn - 2021-04-16

how did you get a database with this version? i tried running ms access 2019 and the database version only gave me the option of "2007-2016". there was no option for a 2019 database version?

• baskar p

baskar p - 2021-04-16

I am using office 365 subscription.

• James Ahlborn

James Ahlborn - 2021-05-10

right, so i think i finally figured out what this is. there is not really any info online about a new access database version. however, i finally found through the office 365 release notes that they recently added a new data type, an enhanced date time value. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/using-the-date-time-extended-data-type-708c32da-a052-4cc2-9850-9851042e0024. it is only available in the online subscription version of access. i realized that i can't easily add support for the new version without an instance of the db to play with.

• baskar p

baskar p - 2021-05-24

Thank you for the investigation. Let me also check if it's possible to add a guest to a sample Access file. Will that help you?

• James Ahlborn

James Ahlborn - 2021-05-24

at minimum, i need an empty instance of a db in order to add any support to jackcess.

in order to support the new date time type, i'd also need an instance of the db with a table using the new field type with some values in it (with ascending and descending indexes on those fields).

if you could create those and attach them here (or send them to me directly), that would be fantastic.

• James Ahlborn

James Ahlborn - 2021-06-08

i managed to get my hands on some new db instances so i was able to implement support for 2019 dbs. it's in trunk now and will be in the 4.0.1 release.

👍
                • James Ahlborn

James Ahlborn - 2021-06-22

2019 support is now available in the 4.0.1 release. it includes support for the new extended date/time type.

👍
                  • baskar p

baskar p - 2021-08-11

Thank you @jahlborn. Apologies for the late reply.

• baskar p

baskar p - 2021-04-15

Sure. Thanks, James