Help
Karel
2008-09-03
2013-04-29
  • Karel

Karel - 2008-09-03

Does Jace support 64 bit JVM?

We have got JNIHelper::getJavaVM:

Looking for exactly 1 JVM, but 4295530888 were found.

• Michael

Michael - 2008-09-03

Yes.  Jace works fine with 64-bit JVMs.  Along with making sure you have the right compiler and linker arguments, make sure you're building with the headers from the 64-bit VM and linking (if statically linked against the JVM DLL) against the 64-bit JVM library.

• Gili Tzabari

Gili Tzabari - 2008-09-03

sherpaguy,

This makes me wonder... I don't see how a 32-bit DLL (or static lib) can link with a 64-bit one. Have you actually tried this in practice?

That being said, I plan on rolling out a new version of Jace soon that contains both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries for Windows.

• Michael

Michael - 2008-09-03

No, a 32-bit application cannot link with a 64-bit library.  My point was that the library needs to be statically linked if using the StaticVMLoader... several people on this forum have missed that simple fact.  Apparently, some compilers won't (or aren't configured to) curse about unresolved links.

I developed a Jace-based dynamic library (Java-backed ODBC database driver) that runs on 32/64 bit versions of Windows, Solaris, Linux, AIX, System i, and HP-UX.  Since my driver is itself a dynamic library which can be loaded/unloaded at whim, I wrote a bunch of wrapper code around the Jace library to enable it to detect and reuse an existing JVM (preloaded by the application that loads the driver) and around the class loader.

I'm off on a different project now, and I haven't been working with Jace for over a year.  My new project is keeping my way beyond busy or I'd be helping with the new Jace release.  The patch bundle I posted is the best I can provide for the foreseeable future.

• Gili Tzabari

Gili Tzabari - 2008-09-03

I know where you're coming from :) I'm slowly making my way to the posted patches but I need to be able to confirm whether they work or not (and whether they are still relevant in the latest codebase).

We'll need to chat one day soon and go over the changes one by one then have you try to build against the fixed version on all the aforementioned platform.