I've been looking at the jabref code a little with the intention to make the following modifications:
- Implement Inpsire support (as opposed to spires).
Include more fields from Inspire such as abstract and number of
citations by switching to an XML format for the data (right now spires
returns bibtex embedded in some HTML).
- Maybe track citations as well.
Previously I used Spires.app and would like to try to mimic all its functionality in jabref.
So I have a few questions in this direction. First, is someone
already working on adding inspire support? Second, does anyone have any
resource regarding inspire's support of MARCXML or OAI2 or any other
standard? The Inspire website seems very light on API documentation. Finally, is there a resource to help one get started with the code
I've got a working hack to add inspire support to JabRef (as an additional plugin rather than a modification of the spires one). I
basically just re-used the spires code and pointed it at inspire...very
little modification was needed as both spires and inspire outputs bibtex embedded in
an html file.
There was some functionality I could not test
because I'm not sure if its been disabled in JabRef. In particular
there seems to be an openSpires action that I didn't bother to port over
because I'm not sure it works for spires in the current version (it seems to be
disabled). It would be nice to hear from someone who knows this code to
see if these functions are still supported.
But the bigger issue is that I'd like to access
inspire via MARCXML or endref or some other XML format that returns
additional fields like the abstract because I'd like to store them as
well. This is a bit more involved and I'm not sure what the most
efficient way to do it is. JabRef does not seem to have a Filter for
any relevant inspire output format besides bibtex and endref. While the
later contains the abstract it doesn't include the eprint number which
is a worse omission.
As spires looks like its about to go the way of the
dinosaurs I'd be happy to provide this inspire patch to the main tree or
to anyone who just wants to patch their own version.
p.s. I had posted this as two seperate messages to the jabref-svn list before a kindly soul pointed me to the fact that that's essentially an inert automated list. Thanks Morten!