Client and Server configuration

Users
2014-04-07
2014-04-08
  • Howard Martinez

Howard Martinez - 2014-04-07

I am trying to profile the 661 protocol flow between two machines, and I found this project which is just amazing. I have followed this:
    https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/j661/index.php?title=Server_simple_tutorial

And I can get the server/client to run and even build from source however when I try and get them to run on different computers it doesn't seem to work. I set the following properties

protocol.host=129.239.79.140
    protocol.serverHost=129.239.79.140
    protocol.clientHost=129.239.78.240

The documentation seems to point to both "host" and "serverHost" for the server not sure why but regardless of what i put there it doesn't seem to work I can't get any communication and I can't see any traffic in wireshark between the two computers.

I did a basic config file below, but it doesn't seem to pull in your WidgetSet1.xml properly either. I am guessing with the polish of this program the issues are all on my end but I would love some assistance if anyone is out there.

graphics=DefGraphics.xml
    ui=LookAndFeel.xml
    pictures=DefPictures.xml
    lf=Basic
    supplement=4
    warnForUndefAttrs=false
    serverInputPort=8080
    serverOutputPort=8081
    serverInputSize=50000
    serverOutputSize=200
    protocol.host=129.239.79.140
    protocol.serverHost=129.239.79.140
    protocol.clientHost=129.239.78.240
    server.autoVisible=true
    logServerArea=true
    windowManager=windows
    server.windows=../samples/ARINC_WidgetSet1.xml
    server.computeLayerSize=false
    server.superLayer=true
    server.menus=true
    server.uiCombo=true
    logMaximumLines=50
    maximumQueueSize=50

• Hervé Girod

Hervé Girod - 2014-04-07

Hello,

And thanks a lot!

As for the protocol, you don't need to put the 3 protocol.host, protocol.serverHost, and protocol.clientHost properties. However when we use it (without using an XML defined Network protocol configuration, see https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/j661/index.php?title=Network_configuration) we currently define two different properties file for the client and the server. I your case, I suggest you try with the protocol.serverHost property in the client properties file, and the other with the protocol.clientHost property in the server properties file.

However, I will:
    - try you example (with two host machines) with the protocol.serverHost and protocol.clientHost properties, and see if there is not a bug in the project in the case where the two properties are defined in the same file
    - add a tutorial to explain exactly you kind of use case

Hervé

• Howard Martinez

Howard Martinez - 2014-04-08

That works! Thank you so much, I can finally see the traffic on the wire. Any clue why that server.windows thing isn't working for auto loading a xml for the widgets?

• Hervé Girod

Hervé Girod - 2014-04-08

Hello, great that it work now ;)

In fact, if you use the server. windows property, you must point to a Windowing configuration, not a Definition File. The following wiki page explains how to define it: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/j661/index.php?title=SuperLayer_window_manager.

You can define very complex cockpit configurations with this XML format, and if you set the server.superLayer property to true, you can even change the cockpit configuration at runtime.

With the ARINC_WidgetSet1.xml DF, you can simply point to the simpleWindow.xml file which is also in the samples directory, which point to the ARINC_WidgetSet1.xml Definition File.

Hervé

• Howard Martinez

Awesome I will try this tomorrow, I just need to get a big enough window with enough widgets and data on it I can try and get a worse case type feel for the 661 traffic and then try and average it out per widget in some way so we can see how well it "scales".

In your view what are the most complex (ie the most properties and the most data required to drive them between the UA<->CDS?).

I was thinking of using the MapUI one from this tutorial:
    https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/j661/index.php?title=Maps_tutorial

However, when I get to "Now click on the Send button: you will see the following content in the Server" nothing happens. Everything up to that point looks exactly like your screen shots however nothing shows up in the window pane for those steps after that point.

And since you are responding so quickly to my questions, one more for you... do you have a widget that looks like the attitude ball? IE the little sphere widget that have the horizon and sky/ground that you can pitch/roll/yaw?

Thanks! (do you have a paypal or something I can donate to for all your help?)

• Howard Martinez

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/j661/index.php?title=SuperLayer_window_manager. Doesn't seem to exist??

Also no matter what i seem to set the values to, in the editor my "panel background" is black.. but when I launch the server with the same xml settings the background is like a light grey color.

Last edit: Howard Martinez 2014-04-08
  • Hervé Girod

Hervé Girod - 2014-04-08

Sorry the link without the final dot is ok.

About the background, there is a bug if you start a Server through the Editor, the background specified in the settings is not taken into account. But it works in a standalone Server.

• Howard Martinez

when it rains it pours, now I have updated my window configuration file.. and i am getting this error but I can't seem to figure out why its not loading my xml format

java.util.EmptyStackException

null
    java.util.EmptyStackException
    at java.util.Stack.peek(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.Stack.pop(Unknown Source)
    at arinc661.server.parser.cockpit.AbstractServerCockpitConfigurationHandler.endElement(AbstractServerCockpitConfigurationHandler.java:222)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
    at org.mdiutil.xml.XMLSAXParser.parse(XMLSAXParser.java:558)
    at arinc661.server.engine.AbstractServerEngine.initializeWindows(AbstractServerEngine.java:863)
    at arinc661.server.parser.ServerConfigurationParser.finishInitialization(ServerConfigurationParser.java:840)
    at arinc661.server.parser.ServerConfigurationParser.finishInitialization(ServerConfigurationParser.java:736)
    at arinc661.server.swing.SwingServerWrapper.preloadServer(SwingServerWrapper.java:339)
    at arinc661.server.swing.SwingServerWrapper.<init>(SwingServerWrapper.java:175)
    at arinc661.server.swing.SwingServerWrapper.<init>(SwingServerWrapper.java:261)
    at arinc661.server.swing.SwingServerWrapper.main(SwingServerWrapper.java:824)

The xml is pretty straight forward for the window
    <cockpit>
    <DFFiles>
    <df path="ARINC_Test_Format.xml"/>
    </DFFiles>
    <windows>
    <windowDef name="DU" width="30000" height="20000" x="0" y="0"/>
    </windows>
    <configs border="0,0,0" borderWidth="1">
    <display id="1" name="Test Display" width="30000" height="20000" defaultLayout="0">
    <layout name="layout" id="1">
    <window name="Window">
    <layer layerID="56"/>
    </window>
    </layout>
    </display>
    </configs>
    </cockpit>

• Hervé Girod

Hervé Girod - 2014-04-08

It seems that it's due to a mismatched XML file, or a file where an XML Node is not correctly named. Can you put your file here?

In the trunk, the cockpit XML file is now validated with a Schema, which might catch these kind of problems.

• Howard Martinez

Hmm I am getting close maybe, remade the format/window xmls using that example but now I just get a blank screen (its black though so that's good!). but it doesn't seem to be loading my format.

Last edit: Howard Martinez 2014-04-08
  • Hervé Girod

Hervé Girod - 2014-04-08

There is a bug in the "all" mode for the Window selector which we did not see, because we always used "oneOf". Change for the latter in your cockpit configuration and you should see your Layer.

BTW the problem is fixed and should be in trunk for tomorrow.

• Howard Martinez

Any idea why my background isn't black? Even though it should be per the style set?

• Howard Martinez

I switched to jfxserver for now which seems to default to "black" as the background. But I would like to know why my style sheet wasn't being used.

Anonymous

Cancel  Add attachments

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks