Can't install on Win XP

Help
Mr.Dog
2004-10-16
2013-03-22
  • Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog - 2004-10-16

Just downloaded and tried to install.

It claimed it could not create the default directory as C:Program Files was not writable (which is not true). Tried to browse and the button to create a new directory did not work.

What am I doing wrong?

• Mr.Dog

Mr.Dog - 2004-10-17

Actually the problem seems to be that when I unset "read only" on Program Files in XP it does not stay unset.

Still can't create a directory elsewhere using the installer, but when I create one manually in Explorer the install works

• Dick Repasky

Dick Repasky - 2004-10-20

You didn't do anything wrong.  There are two problems.

Java fails to detect that "C:\Program Files" is writable.  The installer asks if the directory is writable, and the answer always comes back false, regardless of the truth. If I modify the installer to ignore the answer, the install proceeds fine.  This is an error with Java, and I can  only assume that "Program Files" behaves differently than other directories.

Failure of the file system browser is due to a bug in the installer. After browsing, the installer requires that the selected directory exists and is writable.  That doesn't make sense.

I'll release a new version of J-Bird in the next couple of days. The browser problem will be fixed in it.  I will produce a work-around for the "Program Files" permission problem. The plan is that if the standard test fails and if it's Windows and if the path contains the string "Program Files", try to write a real file, and if that succeeds, keep going with the install.

Thanks for posting,

Dick