Menu

problem installing on Win xp

Help
mdmoshier
2006-02-25
2013-03-22
  • mdmoshier

mdmoshier - 2006-02-25

I have tried to install on windows xp but when I get to the installation screen and push next, it pops up with the prepairing to install message, but nothing happens. The next button is not highlighted so all I can do is X out of the install program. Is there another way of installing the program?

• Dick Repasky

Dick Repasky - 2006-02-25

Your problem may be something that I have seen with old versions of java.  Check to be sure that you version  of java is 1.4.2_09 or newer.  From a windows command prompt run the command

java -version

If you have an older version of java, upgrade. (Version 1.4.2_08 was particularly bad.)

Before you try to install J-Bird again, you might be sure that you are starting fresh.  Remove the J-Bird directory (probably C:\Program Files\J-Bird or C:\Documents and Settings\yourid\J-Bird) and the directory the installer may have created (probably C:\Program Files\Common Files\vainstall or a vainstall directory somewhere in the directory tree C:\Documents and Settings\yourid).

Also, to be sure that there is not some hidden error message, run the installer from the command-line.  Open up a windows command window and run the installer from there. If error messages appear, please post them.

Dick