Menu

start problems on Win XP

Help
2006-02-24
2013-03-22
  • Johann Halmarius

HI,

I tried to install j-bird 0.5 on winxp with java 1.5. Whenever I try to start j-bird.bat there is the following error message:

Failed to open J-Bird data base. Exiting. - Can not find a database to start.  E
    ither the database needs to be created or the 'database_path' property of the co
    nfiguration must be set to the location of the data files.

The files the program is looking for an there.
    I guess the program tries to go "outside" to the internet to load down something and the xp firewall says no.

Thanks for any hint.

Johann Eder
    an Austrian birdwatcher...
    www.jeder.at - an european birds quiz

• Dick Repasky

Dick Repasky - 2006-02-24

Hello Johann,

I think that you need to run the database builder before starting J-Bird.  Briefly, you have a choice of master bird lists, and you've got to select one and let it build. After the list is built, you can run J-Bird.

There should be an entry in the start menu for launching the builder.  If you opted to create shortcuts, there should also be a shortcut on your desktop.

Eventually, the builder will be combined with J-Bird itself so that there is just one program to run. But, that is still in the future.

Also, check out the user guide at http://j-bird.sourceforge.net/uguide.html. It should guide you through the process of building a master list.

Good luck,

Dick