Webcamera interface without opencv in linux

Help
2011-06-15
2013-05-09
  • Sai Yamanoor

Sai Yamanoor - 2011-06-15

Hi,

I am a novice in using the IVT libraries and I am able to use the tool for interface with Firewire cameras in Linux. I have a requirement that I cannot use open cv libraries for my project. Is there a possibility of interfacing to a webcam without compiling the opencv functions of IVT?

Thanks,
    Sai

• Pedram Azad

Pedram Azad - 2011-06-16

Hi Sai,

there is the CV4LCapture (Video4Linux) module, but unfortunately it is very rudimentary and I am not sure if your webcam will run with it.

I will try to work on it as possible, but I can't promise when this will be. Any input from users would be very welcome here!

Pedram

• Sai Yamanoor

Sai Yamanoor - 2011-06-17

Hello Pedram,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried your suggestion as follows:

CV4LCapture capture1("/dev/video0",0,CVideoCaptureInterface::e640x480);

The error that I got was:

Camera 1
    Could not set channel #0
    Not a fatal error.Capturing dimensions are : 640, 480
    Could not set the video depth and palette.
    Perhaps not a fatal error.
    Format is not 24bit RGB.
    error: could not open camera1

I am looking forward to hear your thoughts on this.

I also have a question regarding the CLinux1394Capture2 function. When I use this function, is it accessing the firewire camera like a file level access? For e.g /dev/video13940?

I have to write my own device driver for the firewire cameras and its mode of file access is helpful.

Thanks,
    Sai

• Pedram Azad

Pedram Azad - 2011-06-20

Hello Sai,

the CV4LCapture is rudimentary, unfortunately. So I am not surprised it does not work as is. You probably have to implement the color conversion for the color encoding of your camera. I don't have time right now to assist right now, but I might have next week. You can send me an email so that I have your contact.

The class CLinux1394Capture2 builds on top of libdc1394 (version 2), which builds on top of libraw1394 - which does the file level access I guess. But I haven't looked into libra1394 so far.

Pedram

• Nobody/Anonymous

Hi,

Can you assist me set up webcam in Linux?

Sai

• Pedram Azad

Pedram Azad - 2011-07-11

Hello Sai,

please send me an email and provide information about your camera.

Pedram

• Pedram Azad

Pedram Azad - 2011-07-12

Hello Sai,

please send me an email, as this discussion will be too much back and forth and too specific for this forum.

Pedram

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks