randb() produces different results on different machines with RNG_reset

2012-11-09
2012-11-12
  • Bogdan Cristea

Bogdan Cristea - 2012-11-09

The following code:
    RNG_reset(0);
    bvec bits = randb(2500);
    produces different results on different machines with same OS (openSUSE 12.1 x86_64).
    Could you confirm this behavior ?

• andy_panov

andy_panov - 2012-11-10
    SSE2 can be an issue. __SSE2__ instruction set can be used on some machines to speed things up. Check if you have __SSE2__ defined. I do not see any other reasons for such behavior.

PS there can unpredictable things happen if you call rng functions simultaneously from several threads.

Last edit: andy_panov 2012-11-10
  • andy_panov

andy_panov - 2012-11-10

I've just finished testing the RNG core. Doubles are within 5*epsilon range from the original implementation by Mutsuo Saito, Makoto Matsumoto (They provide some test vectors)

• andy_panov

andy_panov - 2012-11-11

One more thing - SSE2 support seems to be broken (test fails with SSE2 enabled on msvc). I'll try to look into it and provide a fix.

• andy_panov

andy_panov - 2012-11-12

I've managed to test the SSE2 code with msvc and updated my patch (see feature request #90). Results are coincide with generic implementation without SSE2 support. Unfortunately we still can not enable SSE2 support for msvc since it has problems with data alignment in thread-local storage (see http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/764676/c-data-doesnt-get-aligned-on-thread-local-store).