Windows iPod on USB

Help
2003-08-27
2013-03-22
  • Michael Bartlett

hey all,

i've been doing a lot of reading and preparing for setting up my ipod on my linux box. i got the apple usb adapter as my box doesn't have a firewire port - and was wondering if the setup was very different?

i was fiddling around with it yesterday and noticed that the device was recognised properly when plugged into the usb controller.

i just wanted to see if there was anything different regarding mounting the device or anything i should be aware of before going ahead this evening. (note when i was fiddling yesterday i did try to mount the device as a scsi device without much luck - but i hadn't run through the entire installation process properly owing to compile problems i have since resolved).

• Anonymous - 2003-09-23

I was considering buying an iPod and was just curious if anyone including the previous author has had any experience using their iPod with linux, such as whether a person can copy files directly into a diectory on the iPod or not.

If you haven't done it already I think the iPod is a fat32 file format meaning the mount command (in su mode) would be:
      mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/ipod

assuming you have already created a directory in mnt called ipod, and the special device is /dev/sda.

• biggy_paul

biggy_paul - 2005-08-26

I have been able to get the Ipod Mini to work reasonably well on Ubuntu.

The mount command is actually:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda2 /mnt/ipod

/dev/sda1 contains a special partition for the apple software/

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks