Menu

Why some installers can't be extracted?

ImogenHeap
2014-02-06
2014-02-08
  • ImogenHeap

ImogenHeap - 2014-02-06

Hello, may I know why some of innosetup-look-a-like installers aren't supported by innounpacker? Here is very small 3MB example, fan made Polish localization for Castlevania:
    http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/96133570/file.html

If it wasn't created in innosetup, anyone is able to say compiler program name?

Are there any special functions in innosetup, which make inno unpacker unable to extract files and output error: "The setup files are corrupted or made by incompatible version. Maybe it's not an Inno Setup installation at all."

• Ariman

Ariman - 2014-02-06

To check if file was made with Inno Setup open it in any text editor and search for phrase "Inno Setup Setup Data" (without quotes). If found that is an Inno Setup installer.

• ImogenHeap

ImogenHeap - 2014-02-06

You're right, I can't find this string in my example .exe, but I can with many others 100% inno installers I made.

Another question: is it possible to encrypt InnoSetup installation? Encryption without password prompt to protect installer script against tools like inno unpacker?

To be completely honest, I am looking for InnoSetup alternative to somehow protect my work.

• Ariman

Ariman - 2014-02-06

Technically yes. K-lite codec pack installers do the same. But you have to understand that you will need to supply the password inside the installer anyway if you don't want users to enter it. It is usually done in script. But if it inside the installer it can be extracted and files can be unpacked.
    This is universal problem though not really specific to Inno Setup.

• ImogenHeap

ImogenHeap - 2014-02-08

Thanks guys for answers.

Ariman, could you please share example code for installer script to auto-enter password? Can you promise your future versions of inno unpacker will not bypass it? ;D

• Ariman

Ariman - 2014-02-08

I don't have any code. Didn't have any need to use such scripts.
        If you so care about protection you probably better use non-opersource installer. Those usually don't have good decompression tools.

• fec

fec - 2014-02-06

File from first post is made by NSIS and packed with UPX. After UPX decompression, you can open this file e.g. with 7zip.