720p50 recording doesn't work with DNxHD

Help
roland35
2010-02-23
2013-04-25
  • roland35

roland35 - 2010-02-23

Hi all,

we have tried it with 120 Mb/s and 185 Mb/s. All is looking fine (capture, recorder, manually started quadsplit window), but IngexGui is not willing to start and therefore there is no chance for any recording. Unfortunately our HD inhouse format is still 720p50, though we are not shure how long this will survive in a world that is mainly doing 1080i. But there's no question, we do need 720p50 for an indefinite period. We read in the building instructions, that you could not test it sufficiently so far, and so I'm asking frankly - is there any chance to get it?

Best regards
    Roland

• John Fletcher

John Fletcher - 2010-03-02

If IngexGUI won't start, that can be because it is trying to open a file for replay which is in a format the player doesn't support.  To get around this, you can delete the file where the IngexGUI keeps a record of earlier recordings (sorry can't remember name but in same directory as you ran GUI from).  Then it should start up.  Then disable the player before making a recording.

However, 720p50 is unlikely to work correctly at the moment.  We do plan to fix that but I can't say when.

• Pimp Shanti

Pimp Shanti - 2012-09-12

Hi John,

We have exactly the same requirement: DNxHD @ 720p

Any update on this?

Many thanks

• John Fletcher

John Fletcher - 2012-10-18

DNxHD @ 720p not possible at the moment because of limitations in ffmpeg.
    Uncompressed 720p MXF works.

• Pimp Shanti

Pimp Shanti - 2012-10-18

Thanks John.

Would you mind elaborating? A quick search around the internet seems to suggest that ffmpeg can do this just fine. (and thanks in no small part to the BBC!) What am I missing here? And what can we do to rectify the situation?

For completeness, we are/were hoping to use Ingex to capture either MOV or MFX OP1a DNxHD files. I have read that Ingex Studio is not capable of creating these files but, again, I'm wondering what hoops would need to be jumped through to enable this?

Thanks again,

Pete

• John Fletcher

John Fletcher - 2012-10-25

Looking into DNxHD @ 720p50 and making progress.

• Pimp Shanti

Pimp Shanti - 2012-10-25

Fantastic news!

• John Fletcher

John Fletcher - 2012-10-26

VC3 at 720p is now working.  I also added MOV wrapping a little while back.

• Pimp Shanti

Pimp Shanti - 2012-10-26

That's brilliant John! Thank you so much for your work on this, I can't wait to try it out.

At the risk of sounding greedy (!) is there any plan / easy way to enable OP1a MXF wrapping for Ingex Studio?

Thanks again

• John Fletcher

John Fletcher - 2012-10-26

Quite a bit of work would be involved to add VC3 OP1a to Ingex Studio and we have no plans to do that.