Menu

Is recording 4HD inputs possible?

2013-02-13
2013-04-25
  • Simon Victor

Simon Victor - 2013-02-13

Hi
    I am loving the possibilities of Ingex and what it promises.

I am putting together a small studio setup for my church's studio.

Is it possible (at leastI in theory) to record 4 HD channels in machine? I plan to put together a macine with a Black Magic Designs Decklink Quad card. 

What processor and amount of ram would I need?

• John Fletcher

John Fletcher - 2013-02-13

It depends on the recording format, amongst other things.  4 x DVCPROHD is not too hard.

• Simon Victor

Simon Victor - 2013-02-13

Ok. Thanks John_f!

12 cores with 16 gb of ram should allow me to DVCProHD?

You also said "amongst other things. What else do I need to consider?

• Tim Nicholson

Tim Nicholson - 2013-02-15

I have managed 4 HD (DNX) in one box. But using 2 DVS cards and being careful to balance the load between the split PCIe bus with regard to the capture cards, the graphics card, and the raid controllers. Having all 4 channels on one PCIe slot may be too much.

• Simon Victor

Simon Victor - 2013-02-15

Ok Timnich. That is interesting. Never thought of that

So I should go with 2 Decklink Duos then?

• Tim Nicholson

Tim Nicholson - 2013-02-18

I would have thought that 2 duo's would be a better bet, but then make sure you have a motherboard which splits the pcie bus between the two controller chips.

• Simon Victor

Simon Victor - 2013-02-19

Timnich, which processor are you using? And how much RAM?

I am doing some research on processors and noticing that clockspeed and number of cores are not all there is to real life performance.

I am contemplating using a E3-1270, which has only 4 cores, but seems to be good on performance. That will be paired with 16gb RAM, and I am checking now to see if the motherboard allows me to split the PCI load across chips

• Tim Nicholson

Tim Nicholson - 2013-02-19

Dual quad core 3Ghz on a Supermicro X8DTH motherboard with12G Ram.

You will need the dual processors to get split pcie bus working across the two 5520 Northbridges (or equivalent)