Menu

IFC4 support

Help
2016-02-07
2019-01-25
  • Vitaliy Semochkin

Hello,

Is IfcOpenShell supports or plans to support IFCv4?

Regards,
    Vitaliy.

• Vitaliy Semochkin

Thank you very much, I managed to do it!

• Yannic Enders

Yannic Enders - 2016-11-21

Hello

Could you give support on how to build v0.5.0 on Windows for IFCv4?

Regards,
    Yannic

• Yannic Enders

Yannic Enders - 2016-11-22

Thanks

When building I receive the following error
    'cecho.cmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

• Stinkfist

Stinkfist - 2016-11-22

A little hard to tell from such limited amount of detail. Please post the full steps and details (which Visual Studio, CMake etc. versions) what you did. If you follow the instructions carefully (also the build-deps.cmd print some additional instructions) there should be little that can go wrong.

Last edit: Stinkfist 2016-11-22
  • Yannic Enders

Yannic Enders - 2016-11-22

To provide more information, the Cmake version is 3.7.0 and Visual Studio is VS 14.0 2015 x64.
    I have been able to build dependencies now by using set IFCOS_USE_OCCT=TRUE and building the OC 7.0.0 release.

Now, when executing run-cmake.bat OCC library files were report missing, which I found in /deps/.../win64/lib and copy/pasted into deps-vs2015-x64-installed\opencascade
    Following error is now UNICODE_SUPPORT enabled, but unable to find ICU. Any suggestions?

• Stinkfist

Stinkfist - 2016-11-22

I'll update CMake and try doing a fresh clone and build of IfcOpenShell. I see OCE has had a update quite recently and it might have broken something. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

• Stinkfist

Stinkfist - 2016-11-23

I just tried a fresh clone and build and almost [1] everything went fine (Windows 10, CMake 3.7.0, VS 2015 Update 3).

Opened VS2015 x64 Native Tools Command Prompt and then:
    git clone https://github.com/IfcOpenShell/IfcOpenShell.git
    cd IfcOpenShell\win
    build-deps.cmd
    run-cmake.bat vs2015-x64 -DUSE_IFC4=1
    build-ifcopenshell.bat

[1] A small problem with findind the Python dependency encountered, but most likely completely irrelevant to your case.

• Stinkfist

Stinkfist - 2016-11-23

One important note: the current working directory must be IfcOpenShell\win before calling any of the build scripts, i.e. e.g. IfcOpenShell\win\run-cmake.bat doesn't work, but after a successful build-deps.cmd run, the .bat files can be invoked also by double-clicking from File Explorer.

Last edit: Stinkfist 2016-11-23
  • Yannic Enders

Yannic Enders - 2016-11-23

I managed to do the build! It seems accidentally environment variables were set to x86 in VS.

Is conversion usually taking much longer for IFCv4 files to .stp?

• Stinkfist

Stinkfist - 2016-11-23

Great to hear. I haven't done any STEP conversions so can't comment on that.

• Thomas Krijnen

Thomas Krijnen - 2016-11-23

Conversion to step is a slow process indeed.

Kind regards,
    Thomas

• stefkeB

stefkeB - 2017-11-14

Is it possible to support both IFC2x3 and IFC4 when building? The IfcConvert downloadable binary does seem to work with both, but my own compilation seems to work only for one scheme (or did I do something wrong?)

• Thomas Krijnen

Thomas Krijnen - 2017-11-15

Is it possible to support both IFC2x3 and IFC4 when building?

Not at this moment unfortunately.

The IfcConvert downloadable binary does seem to work with both

It will do its best to parse all instances that conform to the schema that is compiled in. Instances that are not understood are ignored.

So to that extent depending on the use case an executable built for IFC4 might work reasonably well for 2x3 as well, but there are subtle differences.

• Xavier Lamorlette

Please, how was generated the IfcConvert that supports both IFC2x3 and IFC4?

Indeed, with IfcConvert-master-9ad68db-linux64.zip (downloaded from http://ifcopenshell.org/ifcconvert.html), I get:

IfcOpenShell IFC2X3 IfcConvert 0.5.0-dev
    Scanning file...
    Done scanning file   
    Creating geometry...
    Done creating geometry
    [Error] File schema encountered different from expected 'IFC2X3'

But it generates a perfectly correct OBJ file.

Whereas with the IfcConvert I built I get:

IfcOpenShell IFC2X3 IfcConvert 0.5.0-dev (OCC 6.8.0.oce-0.17)
    [Error] File schema encountered (IFC4) different from expected IFC2X3.
    [Error] Unable to parse input file

Last edit: Xavier Lamorlette 2019-01-02
  • Mohit

Mohit - 2019-01-20

Hello Guys,

I am a new comer to the programming field and the configurations confuse me the most. I tried to understand the above but no luck. Can someone please help me with easy steps on how I can get the IFC4ADD2 configured IfcOpenShell-python files?

Also is python interface as powerful as C++. Can I convert all geometries to Brep and calculate Element quantity from Ifc geometry using python?

Thank you in advance.

Last edit: Mohit 2019-01-20