Menu

Export Symbolic Lines to IFC

2014-05-29
2016-03-30
  • Suoka Marri

Suoka Marri - 2014-05-29

Hello everyone!

I have started to study IFC format and I'm trying to export my Revit models into IFC.

I have many questions, because the process is new for me and I'm not sure if I'm doing everything correctly.

I would like to ask, how to export into IFC symbolic lines, I'm using for 2D. Usually, when I create my Specialty Equipment Families, I divide them in 3D and 2D part. IFC open source exporter exports 3D part correctly, but 2D is missing. How can I handle this issue.

Thank you!

• Ryan Schultz

Ryan Schultz - 2014-06-28

Suoka, is it possible to use 'model lines' instead in your approach?

• Suoka Marri

Suoka Marri - 2014-07-01

Hi Ryan, thank you for your reply.
    Actually I'm creating families in FCSI standard and they do not consent to use model lines.
    Yesterday I have tried to export one of my families with options "Export 2D plan view elements". It seems like it fixed my problem and I can see symbolic lines in IFC.

Now I have another problem. How can I export Revit subcategories into IFC?

Thank you in advance!

• Angel Velez

Angel Velez - 2014-07-02

Hi Suoka,

What do you mean by "export Revit subcategories"? They should already be exported.

Thanks,
    Angel

• Suoka Marri

Suoka Marri - 2014-07-04

Hi Angel,

I have attached an immage to show you what I mean by subcategories.

I can't see them in Solibri and when I open IFC in Revit.

Even more, IFC is like external link, I can't modify IFC model when I open it in Revit. What should I do?

Thank you!
    Suoka

• Angel Velez

Angel Velez - 2014-07-04

Hi Suoka,

I see the subcategories you mean, but I am not sure what behavior you are expecting. The geometry of the subcategory should be exported, but IFC doesn't know anything about the "Specialty Equipment/STEEL" Revit category you created. Where would you expect to see this information in Solibri?

Did you open or link the model in Revit? You can't modify a linked model - it is for reference only. If you want to edit it, you have to open it. Then, you should have some editing capabilities, but even then not 100%, as some data can't be translated to something Revit can edit. In your example above, it probably could.

• Suoka Marri

Suoka Marri - 2014-07-04

Hi Angel,
    Thank you for your patience, I'm really dump and I'm not sure if I'm doing everything correctly.
    But I'm really keen to try to understand IFC.

I thought to apply materials to subcatergoires and not to create material parameters. This will save time during models creation.

Now when I'm going to export my model with subcategories into IFC and open it in ArchiCAD for example, all that subcategories will be lost?

I have opened IFC in Revit, but it's like unique block, I can't modify it. All my parameters, subcategories and materials are lots in Revit.

Is there any trick to Export/Import Specialty Equipment Revit family correctly?

Thanks,
    Suoka

• Angel Velez

Angel Velez - 2014-07-06

Hi Suoka,

The subcategories themselves will be lost in ArchiCAD, because ArchiCAD has some different structure instead of the Revit category/subcategory. You can certainly map sub-categories to presentation layers, and that will "show up", but it won't be the same as Revit. I wouldn't say that's a limitation of IFC as much as the fact that different systems behave differently. As far as your specific example, you should be able to roundtrip the materials, so if you are willing to share your file, we could see why they aren't being round-tripped.

Thanks,
    Angel

• Suoka Marri

Suoka Marri - 2014-07-07

Hi Angel!

How can I map subcategories to show them up in Revit? Where should I setup this? Because this way I can export my family in IFC to open it subsequently at least in older Revit version (2011, 2012, 2013). It's a pity that Archicad has different subcategory structure.

Yes, sure I can share my file. Also I have attached IFC file I'm getting using IFC open source exporter.

Angel, you are well known IFC expert. I've read your Autodesk University Class handout. Really impressive.

From your point of view, is there any chance to use IFC for the content creation?

Martijn de Riet on his blog wrote that it's impossible. What do you think?

Looking forward to your prompt reply.

Thanks,
    Suoka

• Martijn de Riet

Martijn de Riet - 2014-07-08

Since I'm mentioned here, let me chime in:

On this particular subject I am suffering from something called progressive
      insights. Since my blog I have seen proof that it is indeed possible to
      create IFC's with parametric capabilities. Which makes creating IFC content
      a valid option if it were not for a few issues:

1. You'll need proper and full implementation of IFC4. Not even Revit has
        this covered, and they're the first (and still only one?) to have IFC
        certification. In other words: you'll need custom importers for anyone to
        be able to work with these files.
      2. Same goes for creating the IFC content in the first place. There is NO
        commercially available software that can do this. You'll need to code your
        own solution.

So at this time it is techically doable. But not in a way that encompasses
      any value for the end-user.

• Angel Velez

Angel Velez - 2014-07-08

Small correction @Martijn before I get into trouble: we have IFC4 code not certification, and he is correct that it isn't complete, just functional. There is no IFC4 certification yet. And my reaction would be similar to Martijn's: I wouldn't say it is "impossible" to use IFC for content creation, and it has the obvious advantage of neutrality. However, there is no CAD system that natively uses IFC that I know of, so really you'll always be creating content in proprietary systems using proprietary formats that are converted to IFC. So the pros and cons must be weighed.

• Suoka Marri

Suoka Marri - 2014-07-08

It's a great honor and privilege for me to get answers from two well known IFC Guru!
    Thank you Martijn and Angel!
    I imagine that you're sick and tired of answering that IFC is not meant for content creation.
    Even if there is no CAD system that natively uses IFC, that's not a problem, because I can always use Revit. But Revit is not backward compatible.
    If I can create the model in Revit 2014 and after that export it into IFC and open in Revit 2013, that would be great. Partially it will solve import problems in ArchiCad too.
    I thought to solve at least problems with export into IFC of 2D annotation symbols, connections and materials/subcategories.
    Nonetheless, Martijn told that I should code my own solution.
    If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain.
    From where I should start?
    As first step: how can I export from Revit 2014 into IFC materials, to see them when I open this IFC in Revit 2013?

Thank you again!!!

Suoka

• Suoka Marri

Suoka Marri - 2014-07-10

I'm trying to figure out how to export material into IFC.
    I've downloaded IFC Shared Parameters.txt and have added the following shared parameters into my family: IFCExportAs and IFCExportType.
    What should I do now? Should I link each material to IFCExportType? List them, dividing by comma? How to indicate to IFC OSE that this specific material was applied to specific subcategory.
    Here is another similar discussion, but even there I couldn't find the answer:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/ifcexporter/discussion/general/thread/309bcb4f/?limit=50

I'll really appreciate it if you will guide me. Are there any tutorials?

Thanks,
    Suoka

• Angel Velez

Angel Velez - 2014-07-14

Hi Suoka,

The materials are attached to the geometry in IFC. They should be automatically created and exported. Are you finding missing materials in your export?

Thanks,
    Angel

• Suoka Marri

Suoka Marri - 2014-07-15

Hi Angel,
    Actually I can find materials, when I open my exported IFC file using Solibri Viewer.

I cann't see material when I open IFC with Revit. Model is gray.

Am I doing something wrong?

• Mahsa Nicknam

Mahsa Nicknam - 2016-03-29

Suoka, did you find your answer? I have the similar issue

• Angel Velez

Angel Velez - 2016-03-30

Hi Mahsa,

What is your particular issue? It may not be the same.

Regards,
    Angel