Menu

Exporting empty parameters

2019-11-22
2020-12-29
  • Adrian Bałazy

Adrian Bałazy - 2019-11-22

I'm having some inaccuracy with export empty parameters to IFC file. When value of parameter is empty then it shouldn't be exported to IFC but in some cases it gets exported with no value.
    Please find attached files showing an issue.
    screen

• Dirk Van Rillaer

Hi Adrian,

There is a difference between an empty field and an untouched empty field.
    Only the untouched ones are skipped by export.
    If you fill in a value for the parameter Reference Level / apply / delete value / apply, and then export it to IFC, you will notice that also the Reference Level parameter is exported.

Regards,
    Dirk

• Adrian Bałazy

Adrian Bałazy - 2019-11-23

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for clarifying that :)
    Is it possible to make a parameter untouched again so it won't be exported to IFC?

• Angel Velez

Angel Velez - 2019-11-23

Empty fields may be empty on purpose. I don't know that you can untouch a parameter - you could check with support to see if they know of a way.

• Jose De Jesus

Jose De Jesus - 2020-12-29

Hello Everyone and merry Christmas!
    I am experiencing the same problems. I tried Peters Dynamo and the issue was still ongoing. The dynamo runs well, but the empty Parameters are still visible in the IFC file. I use 2x3.

My thoughts on the topic:

I think that Revit in IFC matters, has troubles assigning attributes. Specially using Projectparameters and Family parameters. When shared parameters come into play, lets say in a family and as a Projectparameter and of course as shared parameter, things might go wrong sometimes. Specially if inexperienced users create  and populate the model with information.
    In my case I ended up deleting the parameter which was creating the empty attributes in the ifc file, and now the empty attributes are gone, which is good for me. So Manually and dynamo deleting values didn't do the job. Deleting the parameter did the job.  I am good for now.

Well.... As soon as a user puts data in the wrong parameter and deletes, the empty attributes will emerge again. My question do you have another workaround for this touched, untouched empty parameter Issue that might help better? Does Autodesk know this? 

I think it's very weird, when something is empty in a schedule or  the value itself is blank that still it gets exported, empty, but it is there. This was new to me.

Regards 
    Jose