Scheduling, Skype and KXStudio

Help
2013-03-06
2013-06-03
  • Daniel MacDonald

I'm hoping I can use idjc alongside a couple of other free apps to help migrate a web radio station from Windows, edcast and Winamp using a totally manual process to something more automated running under Linux. The basic format of our station is we have Skype based interviews or Skype conference chats (which we want to archive) interspersed with music and scheduled re-runs of old shows.

Although I've not set it up and properly tested idjc yet, I've had a quick look at its UI and it seems to do most everything we need except for allowing the scheduling of playback of specific tracks or playlists at certain times on specific days, cron stylee. It does seem to yet you switch to a specific stream at a certain time every day but we require more fine grained scheduling than that.

So, I was thinking I could possibly use KDE's Task Scheduler cron gui to play archive shows or playlists using mpd commands although I'm not certain mpd will work how I hope it will and nor am I sure how this would get tied into idjc as far as streaming is concerned. Seeing as the task scheduler is likely to often request an archived show get played whilst its midway through playing a playlist, I'm hoping mpd will nicely crossfade out the playlist and fade in whatever my scheduled mpd requests. I get the impression it should be able to do this although I've not tested it. Has anyone here implemented anything similar or know of a better way of doing this than what I've outlined here?

Seeing as idjc depends upon JACK, KXStudio makes an obvious choice of distro so has anyone here tried running idjc with Skype under KXStudio? I'm wondering how its going to work with regards to Skypes audio and idjc under KXstudio as KXstudio has alsa2jack preconfigured so will it still be necessary to create the new voip IO ALSA JACK devices in .asoundrc as detailed on the voip tutorial?

Here is KXStudios default .asoundrc:

# ------------------------------------
    # Custom asoundrc file for use with snd-aloop and JACK
    #
    # use it like this:
    # env JACK_SAMPLE_RATE=44100 JACK_PERIOD_SIZE=1024 alsa_in (…)
    #

# playback device
    pcm.aloopPlayback {
      type dmix
      ipc_key 1
      ipc_key_add_uid true
      slave {
        pcm "hw:Loopback,0,0"
        format S32_LE
        rate {
          @func igetenv
          vars
          default 44100
        }
        period_size {
          @func igetenv
          vars
          default 1024
        }
        buffer_size 4096
      }
    }

# capture device
    pcm.aloopCapture {
      type dsnoop
      ipc_key 2
      ipc_key_add_uid true
      slave {
        pcm "hw:Loopback,0,1"
        format S32_LE
        rate {
          @func igetenv
          vars
          default 44100
        }
        period_size {
          @func igetenv
          vars
          default 1024
        }
        buffer_size 4096
      }
    }

# duplex device
    pcm.aloopDuplex {
      type asym
      playback.pcm "aloopPlayback"
      capture.pcm "aloopCapture"
    }

# default device
    pcm.!default {
      type plug
      slave.pcm "aloopDuplex"
    }

# alsa_in -j alsa_in -dcloop -q 1
    pcm.cloop {
      type dsnoop
      ipc_key 3
      ipc_key_add_uid true
      slave {
        pcm "hw:Loopback,1,0"
        format S32_LE
        rate {
          @func igetenv
          vars
          default 44100
        }
        period_size {
          @func igetenv
          vars
          default 1024
        }
        buffer_size 32768
      }
    }

# alsa_out -j alsa_out -dploop -q 1
    pcm.ploop {
      type plug
      slave.pcm "hw:Loopback,1,1"
    }

Thanks for your help!

• Daniel MacDonald

I have now got Skype working with IDJC under KXStudio but I've not looked at mpd or scheduling tracks and playlists yet.

A few of the steps for setting up Skype for use with IDJC as listed at http://idjc.sourceforge.net/tutorials_voip.html are different or simply not required for KX Studio users.

The first difference is that there should be no need to adjust your .asoundrc under KXStudio if you installed from the KX iso and you are using its default ALSA config so you can skip that part of the guide if that applies to you. As a result, there will also likely be no need to change the Skype sound device settings as that guide recommends. Instead, just set the Skype mic, speaker and ringer devices to 'default' (which are their default settings anyway) then they should get handled by the Cadence snd-aloop ALSA2JACK daemon when that is running. The ALSA2JACK daemon, like JACK , is started and monitored from within Cadence under KX.

The final piece of the puzzle is you should use Catia or Claudia to ensure that the ALSA2JACK outputs are routed into the voip JACK inputs of IDJC. When you've tested Skype works and you have checked or made this connection, then you can follow the Testing instructions at the end of the voip guide.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks