Menu

My Ampache replacement is ready for some testers

2015-06-11
2015-08-05
  • Brian Millham

Brian Millham - 2015-06-11

Months ago, I said I was working on a replacement for Amapche. Well, I'm finally close and ready for a few testers.

It's a Python script, using GTK, so has a nice GUI interface. There should be no dependencies, since it uses mutigen for reading tags, and mysqldb for database access (the same that IDJC uses)

I will be setting up a new project here on SourceForge, but before I do that, I'd really like a few other people to try it out.

Instead of cluttering up this discussion, please send an email to this special (temporary) email if you'd like to try it out: djdb@millham.net

A little bit about the script:

I've called it DJDB

It can use an existing Ampache database (but PLEASE backup your database just to be safe), or it can create a new Ampache database.

There are a few differences in how it scans, most notably it uses the bitrate tag from the file (Ampache seems to calculate an average). I also found that Ampache gets track lengths wrong (a track of 60.9 seconds shows as 60 in Ampache, DJDB will show it as 61)

DJDB makes no attempts to find album art, or to try and find tags for tracks that have no tags. It's purpose is to be a simple database creation tool, not a general purpose tagging/player tool like Ampache (and Prokyon3).

One warning, to speed up scanning I add a field to the database. This will not prevent Ampache from working, but MAY prevent you from upgrading Ampache in the future! (Backup your database, HINT, HINT!)

I didn't mention one BIG advantage to DJDB. No more permissions problems! And no webserver required. And nice warning and error reporting for files that have tag problems.

So again, email djdb@millham.net if you like to be a tester.

• Brian Millham

Brian Millham - 2015-08-05

Nobody ever contacted me for testing, but I have DJDB ready to go. There are still a few little things to work on, but it's totaly replaced Ampache for me, I don't even have Ampache installed anymore.

You can get it from github: https://github.com/bmillham/DJDB

Please report any issues there.

• zoschel

zoschel - 2015-08-05

Hi Brian,
    Sorry, i have the last Time to much work, but now i will Test your DJDB. So can you say me, how to install DJDB?

Ok, i sea, djdb,py :D

Thanx

Last edit: zoschel 2015-08-05
  • zoschel

zoschel - 2015-08-05

a Traceback,

Getting catalogs
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/home/ralf/Vorlagen/DJDB-master/LibScan/init.py", line 153, in scan_files
    if self.check_tags(r, info):
    File "/home/ralf/Vorlagen/DJDB-master/LibScan/init.py", line 252, in check_tags
    res.append(self.check_item(db_row, 'artist_short', info.artist.name))
    File "/home/ralf/Vorlagen/DJDB-master/LibScan/init.py", line 272, in check_item
    self.add_changes(db_row['sid'], db_row['file'], db_key, tag, db_row[db_key])
    File "/home/ralf/Vorlagen/DJDB-master/LibScan/init.py", line 374, in add_changes
    self._changed_iters[id] = csa(None, (id, file, tag, str(filetag), str(dbtag)))
    UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xfc' in position 9: ordinal not in range(128)

• Brian Millham

Brian Millham - 2015-08-05

Unicode problem... I'll look at it zochel. Please use the Issues on the github page, instead of here to report problems.