Menu

New LU meter feedback

2023-08-14
2023-12-04
  • Brian Millham

Brian Millham - 2023-08-14

I have an 'emergency' backup laptop should my main system die a horrible death.
    I also use it for testing. I've updated to the latest commit with the new Loudness meter.
    It seems to work, but I've noticed that the left meter is very slow compared to the right meter.
    It's somewhat noticeable when a song is playing, but very obvious when a track ends. The right meter drops right away, the left meter takes several seconds to drop.

I should mention that like my main system, the laptop is running PopOS so is using Pipewire, not JACK.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more info for me to help!
    Brian

Last edit: Brian Millham 2023-08-14
  • Stephen Fairchild

Sorry for the confusion. It's not left and right but slow 4 second window and fast 400ms or is it 300. I am planning to have the left/right option but I doubt it will be as useful.

• Brian Millham

Brian Millham - 2023-08-14

Gotcha, thank you for the clarification!

• Daniel Simmerl

Daniel Simmerl - 2023-08-14

Hello
    First of all sorry for my bad english. Unfortunately I have to use google translator.

So far I've been using the Ebumeter from this website https://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/ebumeter-doc/quickguide.html to check the loudness of my setup

According to the EBU R-128 guideline, there are 2 values: an "M" for "Momentary" value, averaged over the last 400ms and an "S" for "Short Term" averaged over the last 3s.

So that's correct with the 2 ads.
    I personally would prefer a meter in the form of an LFUS meter.

And a huge thank you to @Stephen Fairchild for his excellent work. i love idjc

Last edit: Daniel Simmerl 2023-08-14
  • Stephen Fairchild

Just added extra features. You have the option of an absolute LUFS scale and can set the target loudness. A new stream-silence-changed signal can be listened for in idjcmonitor that uses the short term loudness data along with a user specified threshold level.

• Moonbase

Moonbase - 2023-12-04

Stephen, does that mean I don’t have to use https://github.com/moonbase59/silentjack anymore?

Having an idjcmonitor integration would be great, I could add that into my StudioDisplay software.

Btw, thanks to you and also Brian for keeping IDJC alive—so much appreciated, by many colleagues too!

Last edit: Moonbase 2023-12-04
    • Stephen Fairchild

If all you are using it for is monitoring idjc stream audio then probably yes.