Menu

Any interest in controlling a Razer keyboard from IDJC?

2021-02-21
2021-03-03
  • Brian Millham

Brian Millham - 2021-02-21

I've been playing around for a few days, and have a hacky version of idjcmon.py that can control the colors of the keys on a Razer keyboard (you need openrazer for it to work). For example, I use Number Pad 0 and . as start for the players. They both are lit green. Start a track and the proper key goes dark. Track ends and the key goes back to green. I'm working on this for myself, but would anyone be interested to see my code once I'm happy with it?

• Stephen Fairchild

It would be neat to have effects light up the relevant F keys. Of course the base program MIDI feature should communicate back to controlling devices for visual feedback like toggle state and to perhaps set motorized controls. That code is nine(?) years late and counting.

• Brian Millham

Brian Millham - 2021-02-22

I plan on doing the F keys also. If I had a MIDI controller, I'd be willing to do the feedback, but I don't have one.
      Once I'm happy with my Razer setup, I'll post the code.

• Brian Millham

Brian Millham - 2021-03-03

I have a working version of idjcmon controlling a Razer keyboard. It works so far for what I had planned for it. Hopefully, there are enough comments to help figure it out. To use it, just create an empty directory, and save razercontrol.py to it. You will also need to copy idjcmonitor.py from the idjc/python directory. Of course, you will need openrazer installed (and a Razer keyboard!)
    Also you will need the version of idjcmon.py that I will post next. If there is enough interest I will continue to work on improving/adding features and will make it available on github.

One other thing, this module also uses Wnck to detect active windows, so it can change the keyboard depending on the active window. That should be installed by default on Ubuntu/LM.

• Brian Millham

Brian Millham - 2021-03-03

And here is the idjcmon.py part. I did some fun things with this. There a lots of comments, so hopefully you will be able to understand how things work.
    Enjoy and please let me know if it works for you, or if you have any suggestions.