IDJC AAC+

2012-04-26
2013-06-03
  • Josué Santos

Josué Santos - 2012-04-26

the forecast for idjc work with aac +??

• Stephen Fairchild

I think this is available in ffmpeg as an option otherwise plain aac is very possible. I suppose this should be in the next version.

• Stephen Fairchild

AAC and AAC+ support has been added to IDJC.

• Josué Santos

Josué Santos - 2012-07-09

is fully completed or still in test? sorry to ask what would be the most instlar procedure for? by git?

Thank you, Joshua.

• Stephen Fairchild

The AAC streaming appears to work perfectly. From git sources only.

After you grab the sources run bootstrap.sh then cd libshout-idjc
    ./configure -prefix=/usr && make && su -c "make install"

Build the rest according to the installation instructions for the previous version that really need updating some time.
    http://idjc.sourceforge.net/install_build.html

• Josué Santos

Josué Santos - 2012-07-12

Congratulations, the interface was optimal and the new features as well.
    More I can not access the server using the aacplus2 seems that this is not encodando the file to something I did wrong? with the other formats accplus less normal.
    Thank you. Joshua.

• Stephen Fairchild

To stream AAC+ v2 you need your ffmpeg to have support for the libaacplus encoder. Unfortunately such code can't be distrubuted as binary due to the software licence of the underlying reference AAC encdoder.

• Josué Santos

Josué Santos - 2012-07-21

I am using the version (non-free) of ffmpeg, but the idjc not work on AAC +.
    more ffmpeg is working.
    Use the following for encoding in ffmpeg.
    ffmpeg-i input.mp3 libaacplus-acodec-ab 32k-ac 2 output.aac

sorry for English.
    Thank you. Joshua.

• Stephen Fairchild

I have decided not to use ffmpeg for aac due to the non distributable nature of ffmpeg binaries built with faac or libaacplus. It works somewhat acceptably in gentoo where users can set the appropriate use flags and rebuild ffmpeg. For users of binary distributions they have to rebuild the package from the source package. Frequent updates to the ffmpeg package in the package management system creating a maintenance overhead.

This is unsatisfactory, also faac is not very good (nearly always worse than Lame mp3 in terms of sound quality) and doesn't do constant bitrate which is needed for reliable streams. Then there is the problem of libav (a fork of ffmpeg) being the norm on some distributions. Their policy is to reject libaacplus on account of it being GPL incompatible.

What I have decided to do is use neroAacEnc. This is a closed source binary AAC encoder that has all the features needed and hopefully won't have any run time issues. Its sound quality is probably the best available on Linux.

The ffmpeg based aac encoder is in the process of being replaced.