Menu

Which meter should I be using?

2019-08-08
2021-02-05
  • Kyle Rickards

Kyle Rickards - 2019-08-08

Hi
    I have always used the Peak meter to make sure the outgoing audio is loud enough. Should I be actually using the VU meter and not worry if red is appearing on the Peak meter? How do I increase the volume level if I am relying on the VU meter?

(NB, I have raised a ticket as I thought the discussion section here was closed. Should I also post my question about two sound cards here as well?)

• Stephen Fairchild

Generally, get your audio files scanned and tagged for loudness then set your mic audio loud enough to talk over them. This will ensure consistency within your broadcast. Beyond that consider how loud others are on your station. Hopefully your station will have loudness guidelines.

• Kyle Rickards

Kyle Rickards - 2019-12-21

Thanks Stephen, I’m just confused by Peak vs VU I think

Sent from my iPad

On 21 Dec 2019, at 13:46, Stephen Fairchild s-fairchild@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

Generally, get your audio files scanned and tagged for loudness then set your mic audio loud enough to talk over them. This will ensure consistency within your broadcast. Beyond that consider how loud others are on your station. Hopefully your station will have loudness guidelines.

Which meter should I be using?

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/idjc/discussion/458834/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Moonbase

Moonbase - 2021-02-05

I usually require all songs to have correct RG data (as generated by loudgain), all inputs to be levelled at -18 LUFS, then calibrate all microphone inputs (DJ, Guest, Phone), and set the station to produce output at -18 LUFS.

This can easily be done (even without actually streaming!) by setting the stream’s pregain to 0db, and doing local recordings (using IDJC’s recorder) and measuring the recording file, using spectrum analysers, EBU meters or simply loudgaining the recording again to find if the levels are correct.

Smooth operation, no loudness wars, and no shocking loudness jumps ever again! ;-)