Menu

Strength and VU meters

2023-02-07
2023-02-10
  • Kyle Rickards

Kyle Rickards - 2023-02-07

Hi

Ive asked before but still didn't really understand the answers. Should I be reyling on the Peak strength or the VU meter? i dont really understand what the strength meter does still? For me me now when I speak the strength and channel meters are hitting red and peaking at -6 whereas overall the VU meter is about -18 for music or speech.

THe recording looks a little loud but not distorting or clipping.

Aslo, can i put a limiter into IDJC?

Thanks
    Kyle

• Brian Millham

Brian Millham - 2023-02-09

To answer your second question you can use a limiter via jackrack.

• Kyle Rickards

Kyle Rickards - 2023-02-09

Many thanks Brian. At the risk of a possibly stupid question, how would I do it, what do I use? What package? Ive never used jackrack either.

• Brian Millham

Brian Millham - 2023-02-10

I used to use Jack Rack and LADSPA for a limiter with IDJC. ( https://jack-rack.sourceforge.net/ ) but it's no longer maintained and (at least) on Linux Mint no longer shows up in Software Manager.

I am now using Pop! OS with IDJC. It has Pipewire instead of JACK, so I can't tell you for sure how well this may work with JACK, but it looks like a nice replacement for Jack Rack is Calf Plugin Pack. It includes the LADSPA effects. That's what I'm using on Pop/Pipewire and it works great. Hopefully it works as well with JACK.

To use with IDJC, you'd add a limiter rack to Calf and enable it. Then in IDJC you connect:
      DSP Out (L/R) to Calf Limiter In (L/R) and connect Calf Limiter Out (L/R) to IDJC DSP In (L/R). Once connected click on the DSP button and it will send all player audio out on DSP out to Calf. The limiter does it's magic and sends the audio back to IDJC DSP in. When monitoring you will not notice a change it you have the monitor set to DJ, change it to Stream to hear the difference.
      There are a LOT of effects. Several Compressers, Reverb and much more. With some work you can even make yourself sound like a Dalek 😃

I hope this makes sense!
      Brian