Welcome to Open Discussion

2006-03-01
2016-12-25
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Welcome to Open Discussion

• gp_at_home

gp_at_home - 2007-08-06

dear joe,

awesome program! :)  really truly awesome! :)

i just wanted to let you know how i use the program and have one question.. my parents run xp on their dell with comcast thru a cable modem, d-link router, and belkin wi-fi stick. they're not very computer literate and have to have everything shown to them. it would be nice if icm emailed me the weekly log - but even nicer if the program attempted to ascertain why internet failed. even if you had a list of guesses and the program selected among them the most likely - that would be better than just "up" or "down".

i recently switched from a belkin router to d-link because every time we'd print a document, the internet would drop. i could not get a satisfactory answer from belkin, so i tried the d-link. but i need more information about why (or at least a guess) internet failures occur when they do. i'm evaluating routers for a business in thailand.

so my question is: is it possible for you to enhance the log so that likely causes are displayed each time a failure occurs? or is that information "not available"? i set my mother up with a belkin skype wi-fi phone which depends on the d-link router - and failure information would help me sell the best router for that application.

incidentally, comcast also offers its customers mcaffe security suite. they've taken advantage of that and one of the neat things about the security center is a graphical display of local network :)  i showed my mother and it makes sense to her (and recall she is not very computer literate). so graphics help :)  even a text based "graphical" representation of local network would be better than nothing.

if icm had these features, i would most certainly pay for that product. i think there would be many customers like me .. please don't get me wrong - icm is wonderful as it is :)  ..come to think of it, is there a place in sourceforge for a "wish list" like above? perhaps that would be a good place for me to post them?

sincerely, sam micheal, gp@home
      ps - i'm running suse linux on this notebook (10.2 and 10.1). is there a version of icm which is made for linux?

• SadBunny

SadBunny - 2016-12-25

Launching application on my W10 asks for a log directory. I select one (that is writable by my user obviously, although I also have started it with elevated admin privileges), but then it says "A valid directory was not entered. Internet Connection Monitor will now exit."

I tried a number of directories on a number of drives, both newly created and existing. Same problem everywhere. Also the application crashes (as in I get a "stopped working") whenever I right-click in the directory selection box.

I am experiencing this problem on two separate W10's, one home dutch and one pro english. Any fixes, suggestions etc.?