Menu

Switch DateTime to Joda DateTime

2012-04-16
2013-06-05
  • Robert Wetzold

Robert Wetzold - 2012-04-16

Hi,

I know this is probably a very big request but something worth thinking about. Joda time is on a good track to become a widely used replacement for java date/calendar. We have now done so in our application and it is much more convenient and, it woks.

The problem is, ical4j also calls its class DateTime and this results in a lot of unreadable code since classes need to be fully qualified. This is somehow ok, but then we thought: wouldn't it be great if ical4j reused joda time as well thus providing an awesome calendar parsing together with an awesome time library? It would be a big step in streamlining date handling in java. Are there any plans for that?

Best regards, Robert

PS: thanks for the great ical4j library! we use it even for non ical use cases like calculating recurrences for other contexts.

• Ben Fortuna

Ben Fortuna - 2012-07-09

Hi Robert,

Apologies for taking so long to reply. I have added a card to the new ical4j trello board to remind me to investigate whether we can use JodaTime:

https://trello.com/c/FGUTi8Nu

I think the main difficulty is that we use underlying VTIMEZONE objects to create TimeZone information used in our Date/DateTime classes, so not sure how well JodaTime will support that. But I don't have an issue with looking into it and maybe even creating a branch to see how we could do it.

regards,
    ben