SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Performance

1-Support
Jose Cruz
2004-11-04
2013-03-26
  • Jose Cruz

Jose Cruz - 2004-11-04

I have to do an insert of 15000 records to a table with 500 fields! Yes, its true!

-  How IBatis.NET will respond to this?

- Is it possible to do an insert using a list or datatable, and ibatis will call a stored procedure for each row?

• roberto r.

roberto r. - 2004-11-04

Hi.

iBATIS DataMapper is a data mapping layer that utilizes ADO.NET and your chosen provider to move data into and out of your app objects from a datasource. 

If the 15000 records with 500 columns are existing database records within a SQL Server database table, there's always BCP, T-SQL, DTS to do data extraction, transformation, and loads.  Or substitute SQLLDR, PL-SQL, Oracle Warehouse Builder or MySQL LOAD, shell scripts, MydbPAL (I haven't used it though) or Informatica $$$.

If these 15000 records are 15000 application objects that are loaded into memory already through the use of your application, then YES, you can iterate through your list/collection and call your iBATIS SqlMapper instance to execute an insert for each object. 

This will not be performance-oriented though... iterating through 15000 objects with 500 properties each that are in a list/collection and moving data from your app domain objects through iBATIS.NET code down through ADO.NET etc...  It can be compared to using a DTS Transform Data Task that goes through one record at a time versus using a simple INSERT INTO some_table SELECT col_a, col_b, col_c FROM another_table WHERE col_a = ? with some_table's indexes and constraints disabled or turned off.

Roberto

• Jose Cruz

Jose Cruz - 2004-11-04

I have the records in a datatable or array. My question is: I allways have to create some class to use as a mapper for each record? Or IBatis has some method to handle an array ou datatable? Mapping each time a DataRow to an object/class and then call IBatis Mapper can be very expensive.

• Ted Husted

Ted Husted - 2004-11-04

You might be able to just pass the DataRow to the Statement as the ParameterClass. A DataRow is an object, like any other :)

I've been using DataTables internally lately, and I could give it a try later today.

I don't remember if we support Arrays directly now, but it does sound like a good job for a ParameterMap :)

-Ted.

• roberto r.

roberto r. - 2004-11-04

Hi. 

If you're using SQL Server 2000 (if not, please ignore!)...

Since your data will be in a datatable or array, I'd take a look at these two CodeProject articles if batch insert performance is important and you don't want to do an execute insert on each datarow (you may have seen these already):

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/database/PassingArraysIntoSPs.asp

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/database/lists_and_sql-server.asp

MSDN pages:

OPENXML:
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_oa-oz_5c89.asp?frame=true

sp_xml_preparedocument
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_sp_xml_267o.asp?frame=true

sp_xml_removedocument
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_sp_xml_8sj8.asp?frame=true

With the XML method, you'd have to build the XML string by iterating over each datarow (could be a pretty big string if each datarow has 500 columns)...but the ADO.NET call to insert the data would only occur once and the actual T-SQL INSERT statement would look like (select statement from the MSDN OPENXML page):

INSERT INTO table_a
        SELECT *
        FROM   OPENXML (@idoc, '/ROOT/Customer/Order/OrderDetail',2)
                 WITH (OrderID       int         '../@OrderID',
                       CustomerID  varchar(10) '../@CustomerID',
                       OrderDate   datetime    '../@OrderDate',
                       ProdID      int         '@ProductID',
                       Qty         int         '@Quantity')

I have no idea if this will be better in the end for you, but I can only imagine that the current 15000 records will grow in number in the future.

Hope this helps!

Roberto

• Ted Husted

Ted Husted - 2004-11-05

You can use a Hashtable instead of a user-defined object, and then use the Hashtable to populate a DataTable. The underlying value objects would not be recreated, you'd just be adding another reference to them to the DataTable. So, it is not as expensive as it sounds.

I have been using rich objects, since they are easier to test. I've also been using DataTables to transfer data out to DataGrids and to populate forms.

Here's a generic method I use to transfer a list of rich objects to rows in a DataTable:

protected DataTable FormatForDataTableLoop (IList list, DataTable table)
        {
            int cols = table.Columns.Count;
            string[] id = new string[cols];
            for (int i = 0; i < cols; i++)
            id[i] = table.Columns [i].ColumnName;
        // column type and object type *must* match
            DataRow row;
            foreach (object source in list)
            {
            row = table.NewRow ();
            for (int i = 0; i < cols; i++)
        {
            row [i] = ObjectProbe.GetPropertyValue(source, id[i]);
            }                table.Rows.Add (row);
            }
            return table;
        }

This method might also work with Hashtables instead of rich objects. If it did, then you could use a generic helper function to acquire the list of Hashtables, copy the values to rows in a DataTable, and return the result.

You'd have to provide the DataTable, though I'm thinking that's something that could created from a factory, using something like Spring <http://www.springframework.net/>.

I hope to work on this some more next week. If anyone has any ideas or interest in returning DataTables from iBATIS.NET queries, feel free to chime in.

-Ted.