Menu

Full featured iaxmodem.

Help
2008-02-06
2016-12-20
  • Pepe Aracil

Pepe Aracil - 2008-02-06

Hi all.

I need a full featured modem bank. 20+ modems with fax + data + voice support.

Iaxmodem don't support data connections because spandsp can't. Right?
    But there are full featured softmodem implementations in linmodems
    drivers like linuxant or PCTEL. There are closed and propietary
    code but kernel drivers that implements a pseudo tty, usually are GPL
    and they have the api to attach the softmodem library.

The idea is to make IAX wrapper to one of that softmodem implementations
    to get a full featured modem implementation. ¿There are any body interested?

Bye. and sorry for my English.

• Lee Howard

Lee Howard - 2008-02-06

Correct, iaxmodem uses spandsp and spandsp does not support data mode.  It should be fairly easy to implement a voice mode, but it's not supported at the moment, either.

If you can find an alternative open-source DSP for use with API documentation then I'm willing to investigate the possibility of using it.

• Pepe Aracil

Pepe Aracil - 2008-07-28

Hello.

Chacnges in last spandsp versions made data-mode posible?

thanks.

• Lee Howard

Lee Howard - 2008-07-28

No, not that I am aware of.  Why do you ask now?

• Jaime Bozza

Jaime Bozza - 2009-11-04

It seems that spandsp (looking at 0.0.5) has support for several data modes now - How easy would it be to get data mode support into iaxmodem?   Looking here: http://www.soft-switch.org/spandsp-modules.html

There are modules for V.8 negotiation, V.21 (needed for V.8), V.22bis (1200/2400 support), V.42/42bis plus a bunch of other higher speeds.   Personally I'm just looking at V.22bis (1200/2400) support, but I don't know what it would entail for building all the supported protocols.

• Lee Howard

Lee Howard - 2009-11-21

It's relatively easy… if those modems exist in spandsp.  I'm not sure if they do or don't.  Someone would need to do the work in spandsp to get this working.  I think there would be very little to no work required in iaxmodem.

• Jerry Lewis

Jerry Lewis - 2016-12-15

Has there been any progress in this area by chance? Is there still a possibility that the iaxmodem will support data modes using spandsp? Even just v.22 support would be helpful.

Last edit: Jerry Lewis 2016-12-15
  • Lee Howard

Lee Howard - 2016-12-15

If the work has been done in spandsp then there's really not much left to do in iaxmodem after that (if anything). In the iaxmodem v1.3.0 release I see that V.22 is there in the spandp that it uses. So... have you tried using it?

If there are any problems then that's where work begins. It's untested as far as I know.

• Jerry Lewis

Jerry Lewis - 2016-12-18

I downloaded the v1.3.0 to check things out. It appears to still not support data calls. I've tried the AT+FCLASS=0 ATB0 ATF4 ATF5, none of the commands had any effect on data calls. Switching to AT+FCLASS=1 caused the normal carrier for faxing. None of the commands were rejected with error responses.

• Lee Howard

Lee Howard - 2016-12-19

ATB0, ATF4, and ATF5 are undefined in lib/spandsp/src/at_interpreter.c... so, therefore, spandsp does not the developed features for iaxmodem yet.

It's possible that the V.22 modems are actually there but that the AT commands just aren't implemented. It may be a simple development to get it working... I don't know. My guess is that to get it working someone will need to take some time and read the specs and just write up the implementation.

• Jerry Lewis

Jerry Lewis - 2016-12-20

Thank you for looking into the status of this. It appears this has probably been a desired feature for people for sometime. I would be happy to donate to such a project if it existed.

• Lee Howard

Lee Howard - 2016-12-20

The beauty of open-source software is that you are more than welcome to hire someone to do this. So, if you want to find a group of people who are interested in this to all contribute/donate to it, then you have that capability already. You have my blessing. I will gladly accept any beneficial code contribution into the code repository once that work is done.

Whoever does this work will likely need to become familiar with ITU-T V.25ter/V.250. Some of that recommendation/standard is already implemented in spandsp. I suspect that for your interests you do not need that recommendation to be implemented fully - only some small subset of that. So, you will need to define which commands need to be implemented and what the expected results are, etc.

I am uncertain if the V.22 modem is fully implemented in spandsp. So, it may be worthwhile to approach Steve Underwood (spandsp author) with his recommendations as far as how to proceed.