IAXModem getting "wedged"

Help
2009-03-24
2013-04-05
  • Jeff LaCoursiere

I have four IAXModem 1.1.1 instances running on a Trixbox 2.6.1 machine that has been upgraded to asterisk 1.4.23.  A ring group handles calls into this "fax pool", and until today was setup to ring the first available extension.  Hylafax 4.4.4 is the back-end.  It has been running now for two months and handled several thousand faxes swimmingly.

I have now had three occasions, however, where hylafax reports the first modem in the pool as "wedged", and if I call into the fax pool I get dead silence.  I suspect the first modem is still answering the call, but is in such a state that it does not provide the fax tone.  And hylafax cannot seem to talk to it at all.

Restarting with "service iaxmodem restart" solves the problem, which I now have as a cron job in the middle of the night, just in case.

Today it happened in the middle of the day and I had to do it manually.

Is this some kind of known issue?

Thanks,

j

• Lee Howard

Lee Howard - 2009-03-25

No, not a known issue, although you're welcome to upgrade iaxmodem... but I don't think that it will help.

Do those incoming calls which reach silence generate a HylaFAX session log?

What does the Asterisk CLI say about those calls?

Did iaxmodem crash entirely... or is it just unresponsive?

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks