Menu

A few Qs from a beginner

Mick H
2004-11-22
2013-06-03
  • Mick H

Mick H - 2004-11-22

Hi all,
    I am new to Perl AND HTML so I am struggling with some things here that are probably basic to you.
    First I have a small program working where I can pass data to a HTML form successfully, where I am having problems is with returning data.
    For some reason I cannot store global data in my Perl program (is this because it runs anew each time the HTML page returns to the Perl code?) so I have to pass data to the HTML page then return it later. Half the time the data is not returned even though I am sure I am using the correct syntax.
    To save writing a separate <TMPL_VAR Name = "name"> for each bit of data I wish to pass through can I use a hash or reference to a hash here. If I can use a reference will the data be there when the Perl code runs?

TIA
    Mick H

• steve

steve - 2004-11-29

There are at least two ways to skin this cat. Two that come immediately to mind are:

1.  You can use a series of hidden form variables inside a TMPL_LOOP structure like:
         <TMPL_LOOP name="loop">
              <input type=hidden name="<TMPL_VAR name="parm_name">" value="<TMPL_VAR name="parm_value">" >
         </TMPL_LOOP>

and in the code:
          my @parm_list = ();
          while (save_parms){
              my %parm_item = ();
              $parm_item{parm_name} = "name of parameter";
              $parm_item{parm_value} = "paramter value";
              push @parm_list, \%parm_item;
          }

$template->param(loop=>\@parm_list);

2. Use the CGI::Session package for serializing state information between executions of your script.

Good Luck.