Firstly, it is important to point out that htdig declared itself to be LGPL licensed in the readme, but GPL under http://www.htdig.org/ (link to "license information"). On SourceForge it is, again, declared to be LGPL. The package contains numerous GPL files. A combined product of GPL plus other licenses is a derived GPL work which should, accordingly, be licensed under the GPL. Proceeding on the premise that htdig is de facto GPL licensed, there are a number of GPL incompatible licenses in htdig:
There are a number of files in htdig containing various GPL incompatible licenses. A good example is htdig-3.2.0b6/db/parisc.gcc which contains the following license header:
* Copyright (c) 1996-1997, The University of Utah and the Computer Systems
* Laboratory at the University of Utah (CSL). All rights reserved.
* Permission to use, copy, modify and distribute this software is hereby
* granted provided that (1) source code retains these copyright, permission,
* and disclaimer notices, and (2) redistributions including binaries
* reproduce the notices in supporting documentation, and (3) all advertising
* materials mentioning features or use of this software display the following
* acknowledgement: ``This product includes software developed by the Computer
* Systems Laboratory at the University of Utah.''
* THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH AND CSL ALLOW FREE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE IN ITS "AS
* IS" CONDITION. THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH AND CSL DISCLAIM ANY LIABILITY OF
* ANY KIND FOR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
* CSL requests users of this software to return to firstname.lastname@example.org any
* improvements that they make and grant CSL redistribution rights.
This license has a BSD 4 "Advertising Clause" as well as a request to return improvements to CSL and to grant redistribution rights to CSL for such improvements.
There are other files in htdig under other GPL incompatible licenses:
htdig-3.2.0b6/libhtdigphp/dynlib.m4 (PHP license)
htdig-3.2.0b6/htlib/mhash_md5.c (RSA license)
htdig-3.2.0b6/htlib/mhash_md5.h (RSA license)
htdig-3.2.0b6/installdir/english.aff (Advertising clause)
htdig-3.2.0b6/test/dummy.affixes (Advertising clause)
htdig-3.2.0b6/htlib/strptime.cc (BSD 4)
htdig-3.2.0b6/installdir/HtFileType-magic (BSD 4)
The first step towards resolving these GPL incompatibilities is to see if the files are actually needed to build htdig or if they are simply present. If the files are actually needed, it may be useful to see if they are actually linked in the build process.
Log in to post a comment.