Menu

ODBC driver - how to download and install

Help
tenbob
2014-04-29
2015-07-07
  • tenbob

tenbob - 2014-04-29

Hi. I would like to use the ODBC driver that is described in the feature list. But I can't find where to download it from.

In another post the user said he got it from the SVN and had to compile it. This is beyond my abilities.

Is there a simple download with instructions for installation, please?

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2014-04-29

Last edit: Fred Toussi 2014-04-29
  • tenbob

tenbob - 2014-05-07

Hi Fred. Thanks for replying. I followed your link and downloaded the latest zip. But I still couldn't find out how to install the ODBC driver.

There is a file odbc.txt, but this seems to be mainly a TODO list of things that are still to be addressed. I also found some java programs with ODBC in the name but I don't know what they do. I was unable to find the ODBC driver itself or any instructions how to install it.

If there is an MSI installer available I could probably use it. But unfortunately, I don't have the ability to compile and install the code from scratch.

I have decided to abandon this approach and I will try and do it another way.

Thanks, Bob

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2014-05-07

The file IS an MSI installer. Look at the extension: hsqlodbc-win32-1.9.0.3.msi

• tenbob

tenbob - 2014-05-08

Hi Fred. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm making more progress now. I successfully installed and configured the ODBC driver. But I can't get it to connect. It fails with the message "A password is required for this connection". I haven't set a password - just user 'SA' with password blank.

I'm running the database in server mode at localhost/jivetest:9001. Several different JDBC clients can connect successfully. But the ODBC client can't.

I enabled tracing on the server and got the following messages. Do they indicate what might be wrong? TIA, Bob.

[Server@e5bbd6]: [Thread[HSQLDB Server @e5bbd6,5,main]]: handleConnection(Socket
    [addr=/0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1,port=53282,localport=9001]) entered
    [Server@e5bbd6]: [Thread[HSQLDB Server @e5bbd6,5,main]]: handleConnection() exited
    [Server@e5bbd6]: [Thread[HSQLDB Connection @1ec0b,5,HSQLDB Connections @e5bbd6]]
    : ODBC client connected.  ODBC Protocol Compatibility Version 3.0
    [Server@e5bbd6]: String Pairs from ODBC client: {extra_float_digits=2, DateStyle=ISO, geqo=on, user=SA, database=jivetest}
    [Server@e5bbd6]: org.hsqldb.server.ServerConnection$ClientFailure: Expected password prefix 'p', but got 'X'
    [Server@e5bbd6]: [Thread[HSQLDB Connection @1ec0b,5,HSQLDB Connections @e5bbd6]]
    : 3:Failed to connect client.  User 'SA'.  Stack trace follows.
    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
            at java.lang.System.arraycopy(Native Method)
            at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
            at org.hsqldb.server.OdbcPacketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
            at org.hsqldb.server.OdbcPacketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source)
            at org.hsqldb.server.OdbcUtil.alertClient(Unknown Source)
            at org.hsqldb.server.ServerConnection.odbcConnect(Unknown Source)
            at org.hsqldb.server.ServerConnection.init(Unknown Source)
            at org.hsqldb.server.ServerConnection.run(Unknown Source)
            at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2014-05-08

Why not change the password for database to a string with a single letter and test.

• tenbob

tenbob - 2014-05-09

Hi Fred. I added a user with a password, but I still can't connect. I am testing using the 'Test' button in the 'ODBC Data Source Administrator' in Control Panel. I tried various combinations and got the following results.

User tries to connect with a blank password - gets message 'A password is required ...' (correct).

User tries to connect with incorrect password - gets message 'Communication closed during auth ...' (correct).

User tries to connect with the correct password - gets no message and the driver hangs. Windows says the program is not responding and offers to close it. Below are the error messages from the server. OutOfBoundsException seems important. Any thoughts? Bob

~~~~~
    [Server@e5bbd6]: [Thread[HSQLDB Server @e5bbd6,5,main]]: handleConnection(Socket [addr=/0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1,port=60013,localport=9001]) entered
    [Server@e5bbd6]: [Thread[HSQLDB Server @e5bbd6,5,main]]: handleConnection() exited
    [Server@e5bbd6]: [Thread[HSQLDB Connection @219c51,5,HSQLDB Connections @e5bbd6]]: ODBC client connected. ODBC Protocol Compatibility Version 3.0
    [Server@e5bbd6]: String Pairs from ODBC client: {extra_float_digits=2, DateStyle=ISO, geqo=on, user=BOB, database=jivetest}
    [Server@e5bbd6]: [Thread[HSQLDB Connection @219c51,5,HSQLDB Connections @e5bbd6]]: 8:Trying to connect user 'BOB' to DB (jivetest)
    [Server@e5bbd6]: [Thread[HSQLDB Connection @219c51,5,HSQLDB Connections @e5bbd6]]: 8:Failed to connect client. User 'BOB'. Stack trace follows.
    java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 0
    at org.hsqldb.server.OdbcPacketOutputStream.xmit(Unknown Source)
    at org.hsqldb.server.ServerConnection.odbcConnect(Unknown Source)
    at org.hsqldb.server.ServerConnection.init(Unknown Source)
    at org.hsqldb.server.ServerConnection.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2014-05-09

There may have been an internal change in the software since the ODBC build that is causing this. I will check the driver next week and issue an update if possible.

• tenbob

tenbob - 2014-05-20

Hi Fred. Have you any more information that might help with this? TIA. Bob

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2014-05-20

Sorry, not yet. But will check it soon.

• Earl Marwil

Earl Marwil - 2015-01-08

I'm trying to install the ODBC driver with the MSI packaged software on a Windows 7 64-bit system. The driver is found if I run the 32-bit odbc Data Source Administrator (C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe). But like tenbob, I run into the same ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException. I do have an administrator password set for sa and have tested my hsqldb 2.3.2 server with sql-tool on a Linux system and everything works fine. I would be glad to try an updated build of the MSI. Thanks.

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2015-07-07

It seems there was a regression in version 3.3.2 and probably some earlier versions which caused the error. Should work with version 2.3.3