Help with CRYPT_KEY needed

Help
elnin0
2013-12-05
2014-01-29
  • elnin0

elnin0 - 2013-12-05

I'm trying to get a AES encryption key generation by a HSQLDB database to work. The documentation of this feature is very basic and the only code listing for this task i found here: http://www.coderanch.com/t/515884/JDBC/databases/Encrypted-database-HSQL

Unfortunately this Code is not working i get a java.sql.SQLException: invalid cursor state: identifier cursor not positioned on row in UPDATE, DELETE, SET, or GET statement: ; ResultSet is empty

here is the code from the coderanche post:

SOMETHING HEREClass.forName("org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCDriver");
    Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:hsqldb:file:some_db", "SA", "");
    Statement stmt = con.createStatement();  
    ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("select CRYPT_KEY('AES', null) from some_table");
    rs.next();
    String key = rs.getString(1);

• Lucani

Lucani - 2013-12-05

Try this:

try {
                PreparedStatement stmt = connection.prepareStatement("SELECT CRYPT_KEY('AES', NULL) FROM (VALUES(0))");
                ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery();
                rs.next();
                String key = rs.getString(1);
                System.out.println(key);
            } catch (SQLException e) {
                e.printStackTrace();
            }

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2014-01-29

For interactive use (rather than programmatic), you start DatabaseManager and connect to a new mem: database. You then type this:

CALL CRYPT_KEY('AES', NULL)

The returned value is displayed in the window. If you click on the View menu and select View as Text, you can highlight and copy the result to the clipboard.