systemd init file + stopcompact

Anonymous
2012-06-20
2014-01-19
  • Anonymous - 2012-06-20

Hi, I'm responsible for creating a systemd init file for hsqldb in Fedora, and I need to know if there's a chance it could be incorporated into hsqldb upstream, or if you guys just don't intend to support it at all.

The main problem I see there is that since systemd doesn't support non-standard commands, I don't see an elegant way how stopcompact would be implemented.

Any stance/ideas? Thank you, Tomas Radej

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2012-06-20

Could you provide a link to this init file. What do you mean by "stopcompact"?

• Anonymous - 2012-06-20

So far I only have a rather primitive file with three shell wrappers, whose contents have been taken directly from the original initrc file. Before I dive deep into it, I need to know how the absence of the stopcompact command (from the original sysv init file, see http://fpaste.org/22v4/ , line 444) is desired to be tackled.

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2012-06-22

OK. Thanks. I've looked at the file.

1. the stopcompact command executes "SHUTDOWN COMPACT", whereas the stop command executes "SHUTDOWN"

2. this example shows the stopcompact command has been removed from the SUSE version of init file;

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?file=hsqldb-1.8.0.10-suse-initscript.patch&package=hsqldb&project=Java%3Abase

3. so long as the stop command is available, stopcompact is not essential.

4. we are happy to maintain and incorporate useful changes upstream. The version of the init that you are looking at belongs to the older 1.8.x version  in SVN base-one/trunk/hsqldb/bin. The latest version that we would like to support is located in SVN base/trunk/sample/ .

5. version 1.8.x works with a reference to org.hsqldb.util.SqlToolSprayer instead of the latest version's reference to org.hsqldb.cmdline.SqlToolSprayer

6. we can update the 1.8.x version in SVN base-one/trunk  to a modified copy of the latest version

7. Blaine will review any suggested changes when he has time.

• Anonymous - 2012-06-26

That's great news, thank you. I'll polish the systemd file up a bit and submit it for inclusion.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks