HSQLDB versioning and release policy

2010-10-07
2014-01-19
  • Pedro Caetano

Pedro Caetano - 2010-10-07

Hi,

there is a changelog for the snapshots released after 2.0.0?
    Do you have plans to release a 2.0.1 version soon?
    Why the intermediate SNAPSHOTS are not patch releases (2.0.1, 2.0.2, … or 2.0.0.1, 2.0.0.2, …)? They aren't production ready?

We are now using a SNAPSHOT version (20100904) because it has some important fixes, but it would be better if we could use a stable release with a changelog.

Thanks,
    Pedro.

• Fred Toussi

Fred Toussi - 2010-10-07

Snapshots are generally stable. This means the particular SVN revisions used in snapshots are stable. A changelog is included. You are advised to move to the very latest snapshot as soon as you can.

We don't want to have too many releases in circulation.

When 2.0.1 is released, version 2.0.0 will be officially declared obsolete and will not be supported. The release will probably happen this month.

• Pedro Caetano

Pedro Caetano - 2010-10-07

Thanks for your reply.

I did a checkout of the project and I found the changelog, but the last update was for the 20100910 SNAPSHOT.
    Since we are now in the final test phase, I don't want to change the version of hsqldb and probably will wait for the 2.0.1 final version.
    So far, we don't have any reported problem related to hsqldb migration from 1.8 to 2.0 (20100904) using MVCC. The blocking problems reported by wespsousa are now fixed.

My original post was about the release policy because I think some problems fixed since the 2.0.0 release already deserved a new official version. But a release this month is ok.

Thanks,
    Pedro.