auth fails on remote server with correct pass

Help
2005-05-06
2013-04-08
  • Daan Willems

Daan Willems - 2005-05-06

I've been running hotwayd succesfully for a while, however, recently it started failing to connect to the hotmail servers. This is the relevant output to fetchmail:

Authorization failure on foo@hotmail.com@127.0.0.1
    fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)

when I telnet to the hotwayd service on my system and try to login I get:

+OK POP3 hotwayd v0.8.2 -> The POP3-HTTPMail Gateway. Server on arrakis active.
    USER foo@hotmail.com
    +OK Username validated, Password required
    PASS bar
    -ERR Remote server said password was invalid

I'm 100% sure the password is valid since I can login with it at the webservice or msn/kopete im. Any idea what might have happened to make it stop working?

• David Smith

David Smith - 2005-05-07

Try changing the password on your hotmail account, sometimes this helps.. Sorry can't be much more helpful without more info.

• Sargon

Sargon - 2005-05-19

The auth fail is probably due to changes in the page structure at Hotmail. A similar problem plagues Gotmail.

If you check your e-mail through a Web browser, you will see that there are a couple of new MSN pages which you must now pass through before getting to the actual Hotmail pages.

• Jeremy

Jeremy - 2005-05-19

This cannot be the issue. Hotwayd communicates with hotmail via the same HTTP (not HTML but HTTP) system as outlook and outlook express. Besides, other accounts can still login.

• Daan Willems

Daan Willems - 2005-05-08

Thanks for your suggestion. What other info should I supply to illustrate/debug the problem?

• Daan Willems

Daan Willems - 2005-05-08

sorry, changing the password didn't solve the problem.

• Jeremy

Jeremy - 2005-05-11

I'm having the same problem. I've been using hotwayd for quite a while now with several different accounts and have not had a problem, however i just signed up a new account and can't login via hotwayd... The account does work with Outlook, Outlook Express and Webmail. It is paid for and i'm not getting the hotmail error message about not having webdev access, i am getting the password invalid message. I've attached the output of hotwayd to the end of this post with the debug mode enabled, i set the DEBUG variable to 1 in the source before i compiled it.

root@Mage share # hotwayd
      Got server name/addr: Mage.local/0.0.0.0
      Got client name: 0.0.0.0
      +OK POP3 hotwayd v0.8.1 -> The POP3-HTTPMail Gateway. Server on Mage.local active.
      user aedtidea01@hotmail.com
      Command: user aedtidea01@hotmail.com
      +OK Username validated, Password required
      pass xxxxx
      Command: pass xxxxx
      attempting to login with aedtidea01
      Status returned: 401, reason: Authorization Required
      handlereplies(401): reply=AUTHORIZATION; Digest realm="hotmail.com", nonce="MTExNTgzMjY4OTozM2VkMmIzMzIwMjEyNzY5MzA1ODcyYjY5MTMwYmY3OQ==", qop="auth"
      Status returned: 302, reason: Redirected
      reply=MOVED; http://oe.bay9.msnmail.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/hmdata/aedtidea01@hotmail.com?
      handlereplies(302): reply=302
      handlereplies(401): reply=AUTHORIZATION; Digest realm="msn.com", nonce="MTExNTgzMjY4OTozM2VkMmIzMzIwMjEyNzY5MzA1ODcyYjY5MTMwYmY3OQ==", qop="auth"
      handlereplies(401): reply=AUTHORIZATION; Digest realm="msn.com", nonce="MTExNTgzMjY4OTozM2VkMmIzMzIwMjEyNzY5MzA1ODcyYjY5MTMwYmY3OQ==", qop="auth"
      handlereplies(401): reply=AUTHORIZATION; Digest realm="msn.com", nonce="MTExNTgzMjY5MDowODU1ZTUwMTE5Y2RiNjcwZTk0NTdhMzk2ZThiMzA1MQ==", qop="auth"
      handlereplies(401): reply=AUTHORIZATION; Digest realm="msn.com", nonce="MTExNTgzMjY5MDowODU1ZTUwMTE5Y2RiNjcwZTk0NTdhMzk2ZThiMzA1MQ==", qop="auth"
      handlereplies(51): reply=51
      AUTH failed, hotmail said password for user aedtidea01 invalid, host=0.0.0.0
      -ERR Remote server said password was invalid

• Jonas Larsen

Jonas Larsen - 2005-06-15

My login also started failing yesterday (or maybe two days ago).

Like the others in this thread, I can still login manually via a web browser, so the password is valid. Likewise the account still works in Outlook.

I upgraded to the latest version of hotwayd. Still the same problem.

I tried to snoop the traffic, and the only big difference I found between Outlook and hotwayd was the "username", and that the "realm" in hotwayd sometimes was "msn.com":

OUTLOOK 2003:
      Digest username="jonas@hotmail.com", realm="hotmail.com"

HOTWAYD:
      Digest username="jonas", realm="msn.com"

HOTWAYD:
      Digest username="jonas", realm="hotmail.com"

PS. I don't use Outlook Express, so I can't compare the traffic from it with the one of hotwayd. DS.

Regards,
      /Jonas

• Jonas Larsen

Jonas Larsen - 2005-06-17

Yes! It was as I thought.

Hotwayd removed the @hotmail.com from the username sent to the hotmail-server.

I disabled line 244 of hotwayd.c and now the login works again.

It seems like hotmail has changed their protocol on this.

Regards,
        /Jonas

• Jeremy

Jeremy - 2005-06-21

This worked wonders for me, Thanks!

• uncledonald

uncledonald - 2005-06-20

I can confirm Jonas's post that a sprinkling of "/*"   and  "*/" for the bit at line 244 fixes the problem for picking up mail for me too.

• Daan Willems

Daan Willems - 2005-06-20

will this be solved in a new version of hotwayd to be released soon, or do we compile our working versions on our own? :)

• David Smith

David Smith - 2005-06-20

I'll make a new version for you soon..

I just want to test a few things first, maybe this is not a solution for everyone.. For example - my mailbox still works the old way and I haven't tested the new way yet..

Cheers,
      Dave

• L0ngN1t3

L0ngN1t3 - 2005-06-22

I have two hotmail accounts, one worked but the other didn't.  I commented out lines 244 and 246 then re-compiled.  Now they are both working.

• uncledonald

uncledonald - 2005-07-13

The same problem seems to have raised its ugly head with hotsmtpd. Commenting out the lines:

if (domain_begin && (strcasecmp("@hotmail.com",domain_begin) == 0)) {
              *domain_begin = '\0';
            }

fixed it for one of my accounts on one box (ie both smtp and pop3 now have the bits commented out).

Another hotmail account on another box seems to be happy *without* the fix for smtp, but *with* the fix for pop3.

• Kamran Riaz

Kamran Riaz - 2006-02-18

I have those lines commented out but still have the problem.

• Ryan Press

Ryan Press - 2006-12-09

In xmlstuff.c initxml I forced it to use ISO-8859-1 instead of CP1252 and that fixed it for me.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks