legacy meteo

Jerry
2015-11-18
2016-04-01
1 2 3 .. 6 > >> (Page 1 of 6)
  • Jerry

Jerry - 2015-11-18

Hello all. For several years, I have appreciated Meteorologist and especially Ed's efforts to keep it going. Now that meteo is practically disabled and Ed is developing Meteo2, I am looking into the legacy code to see if I can resurrect it, particularly for older systems (ie, 10.5+). From what I have skimmed in the past few days, I see two main hurdles: 1) deprecated code; 2) missing weather data source.

1) As API's evolve, code is continually deprecated, and legacy code simply needs to evolve with it. As I consider how to update it, I may drop support for 10.5.
    2) The specific weather feed from weather.com has disappeared. So I need to investigate other weather feeds and write new code for it.

Altogether, it feels like a major rewrite, and I certainly understand Ed's position to start with a clean slate. I want meteo to continue on older systems, so I am investigating the options.

• EdwardD20

EdwardD20 - 2015-11-18

Here is an interesting option for you to consider. I re-wrote into Swift so I could learn Swift. What if we rewrote the Swift code back into Objective-C, but still basically new code. Would that give us support further back? Not likely for 10.4 and PPC's, but perhaps 10.6.

• Jerry

Jerry - 2015-11-20

Hm, porting from Swift to Objective-C sounds like an excellent plan for Meteo2, especially longer term to support users on older systems. Hard to say how far back you could port Swift (depends on framework support), but 10.6 sounds like a reasonable target.

I began looking into legacy meteo because Ed went with Swift with oldest support at 10.9 for Meteo2. I am guessing that backporting to Objective-C would begin after getting Meteo2 stable. Meanwhile, with legacy meteo, I have updated the deprecated code to compile. I still need to investigate weather feed sources.

• Jerry

Jerry - 2015-11-22

Hi Ed. Reading over your message again, maybe I misunderstood. What did you have in mind?

• EdwardD20

EdwardD20 - 2015-11-22

I think you basically have it right. We can take the Swift code and simply convert it to Objective-C. In my mind, Swift is a simple language where everything is together, like Basic. Obviously Objective-C will require both C code and H header files. The declarations will need to be different syntax but conceptually everything will be the same. Since Swift has a new runtime it only goes back to 10.9 for support. If we re-write back into Objective-C, but using the the NSXML parser going after the Yahoo! and OpenWeatherMap and other data sources, then we should be able to gain support back to 10.6 - assuming Intel only (no PPC). This may be over simplifing, but hopefully you get the idea.

• Jerry

Jerry - 2015-11-26

For those with systems older than 10.9, I have finally made a beta of Meteorologist at version 1.7.0. For now, I am hosting it at zzz0. It should work on 10.5+, has been tested on 10.6, and may not work on 10.10+.

• jkl

jkl - 2015-11-26

I run 10.9.5 and gave it a try. Only version 1 opened and the weatherunderground link you use works great. Hope that can be added to Meteo2.

At first glance, there are no weather icons and there is no extended forecast--but I assume that was fixed in version 2. The old layout and features really feel "at home" though.

Version 2 does not open on 10.9.5 at all. It shows the opening motion when it is double-clicked--but nothing happens after that.

• EdwardD20

EdwardD20 - 2015-11-26

@Jerry - Excellent! We'll get this whole thing working again for everybody.

• Jerry

Jerry - 2015-11-26

The first mistake I caught is that I forgot to turn on the switch for universal builds; apologies to 10.5 users. Build 2 is up. Tip for 10.6+ users: enabling 32-bit mode reduces memory usage.

Ed, considering Meteorologist is open source, I would like to contribute my fixes. What guidance do you have on this?

• EdwardD20

EdwardD20 - 2015-11-26

@Jerry - I still can't figure out how to add people as developers (contributors). In the mean time, send me the source and I'll check it in for you. I'll also update the page and the verbiage to indicate 2 versions are now available and put the hosting back on SourceForge. Now that Yahoo! has stablized, I'll also see about publishing an official version of Meteo2.

• Jerry

Jerry - 2015-11-28

I just posted build 3 which

• fixes a bug when selecting the TAB [Forecast Items] in the City Editor
    • fixes the display of 3 day forecasts
    • adds Weather Underground logo/link to comply with usage conditions

@jkl, there is an option to prevent the app from starting multiple copies; that may explain why build 2 did not start for you. Several features seem to be missing - I had updated enough code to barely compile, use a new weather data source, and display the current conditions (what I believe is the most important information). I am continuing to fix features.

Ed, hm, sending you the source properly would mean sending clean source by removing all the comments I added for myself, and then you would have the burden of committing it properly. To me, that seems error prone, unsustainable, and a lot of extra, tedious work for both of us. In the meantime, I would appreciate your offer to update the main page to indicate a classic Meteorologist supporting users on OS X 10.5-10.9. Thanks!

Last edit: Jerry 2015-12-02
    • EdwardD20

EdwardD20 - 2015-11-30

I've sent an email to the 4 people that were developers back in 2007 who added me. One email has bounced already. Hopefully 1 of the other 3 will respond to either you or me.

• EdwardD20

EdwardD20 - 2015-11-30

• jkl

jkl - 2015-11-28

Running the latest version It now runs on 10.9.5 again.

I have tried to add cities but it locks up and never stops searching. I can only quit the app using Activity Monitor.

So no cities can be added yet by using Search and still no weather icons (rain, sunshine, etc) -- but it is running now and fetching weather from the city that remains I think from the old Meteorologist preferences.

• Jerry

Jerry - 2015-11-30

@jkl, I would like to reproduce your search results, what did you search for?

• jkl

jkl - 2015-11-30

I tried various USA and international cities. Just the city name mostly, sometimes, the name, comma, and country name. Press search and the searh stripes begin and never end. It cannot be canceled or quit. So I used Activity Monitor to quit. After several experiments, I just removed it for now. It does show the initial city I must have put in using version 1 which also worked on 10.9.5, Istanbul. But can't add anything more or delete the Istanbul.

• Jerry

Jerry - 2015-12-02

New build available.

• Fixed hanging city search (actually two different bugs).
    • Fixed drag and drop reordering of cities.

Another cause for hangs or crashes may be your v1.6.1 preferences file which used deprecated settings for Weather.com. You should trash it before starting any v1.7. The only exception is if your cities from v1.6.1 were all inactive.

And now, a semi-good problem. Weather Underground allows 500 requests/day, and we are exceeding that. Beyond that, users will stop receiving updates. However, I am glad to know Meteorologist is useful to more users than just my father - one reason I am fixing Meteorologist.

Short term, if Meteorologist is working for you, please set your update interval to at least 60 or more minutes. Weather Underground's forecasts update hourly; if you really need to know the current temperature within an hour, quit and restart. If Meteorologist is not working for you, instead of trying again repeatedly, save yourself some time (and daily requests) - send me your crash report or describe where it hangs so I can fix it and put out a new build for you to try.

Longer term, I will investigate other weather data sources.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• C. Vaughn

C. Vaughn - 2015-12-02

Thank you so much for creating Legacy Meteo!
      Meteorologist has always been one of my favorite Mac apps, and I was sad to see it stop working a few weeks ago. I'm currently running OS X 10.7.5 and successfully added several U.S. cities, but wasn't able to add Cape Town, South Africa. I visited some folks there many years ago and like to keep track of the weather conditions, particularly in the Tamboerskloof neighborhood. Its postal code is 8001, if that information helps.
      I hope to update to a new iMac by Christmas, so I look forward to trying out Meteo2 as well.

• elfpix

elfpix - 2015-12-02

On Dec 1, 2015, at 9:22 PM, Jerry wrote:

New build available.

Link, please. I tried the link you posted a couple days ago and it crashed upon launch repeatedly.

Also I used Meteo for more than 10 years and there was no plist file in my Library. Could the recent failure of the old version have eliminated the plist file?

Thanks for this, if it works. I am procrastinating about Yosemite...

Mtn Lion, MacBook Pro 2013

Emily L. Ferguson
      mailto:elf@landsedgephoto.com
      774-269-5968
      New England landscapes, wooden boats and races
      http://www.landsedgephoto.com

• gavin

gavin - 2015-12-02

Hi Jerry, I'm having the same probs as jkl, even though I've just downloaded the latest version (Meteorologist-1.7.0 (6) from your site.

The city I selected (Osaka) shows up in the menu bar but the temperature does not appear, even though 'Display Temperature' is checked in the prefs. The temperature for Cupertino was there, however, when I first opened the app.

In the drop down menu under 'current conditions,' wind, sunrise and sunset all display 'null' for Osaka and there is no extended forecast.

I tried adding another city (Christchurch) but, as with jkl, I had to quit the app with activity monitor since the progress bar continued to spin without locating the city, either the one in the UK or NZ.

Am running OSX 10.8.5. I trashed the meteo pref file before installing the latest version.

Thanks.

• jkl

jkl - 2015-12-02

downloaded and tried the latest version (6). I could add cities so tried again.

Deleting the pref file did nothing and the city remained after restart. Hmmm. So I "deleted" the city within the app and it crashed off instantly. On restart, Cupertino was there! Great. City deleted.

So next to add another city and then delete Cupertino safely. But this became odd.

I cannot add any USA city without the app freezing and I need to quit with Activity Monitor. For example, neither Lincoln, nor Lincoln, NE worked. App froze. Tried other USA cities. Froze.

Another restart and tried Istanbul---and got no less than roughly 30 weather station locations to choose from. Chose one, worked, deleted Cupertino.

Thanks. Will keep testing.

• Jerry

Jerry - 2015-12-02

Latest build (7) fixes these items:

• Add City button should be enabled predictably, though I am trying to understand why it is ever disabled.
    • In general, city search is reorganized into city/state/zip fields. In the US, zip is preferred and takes precedence over city/state. Outside the US, use city/country.
    • As with many things, Meteorologist and Weather Underground are US b(i)ased; apologies to those users interested in weather outside the US. So I have tried fixing city search, and it works on one test case submitted by a user's feedback.
    • Improved city search should eliminate some of the hangs. Along with the reorganization, since Meteorologist already has some i18n support, I could use help with that.

Emily, I try to announce news here while the builds are temporarily hosted at zzz0. Ideally, I could contribute my patches here, but the original admin seems inactive. As for the preferences file, that should be </Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.heat.meteo.plist>. I doubt Meteorologist would delete it.

Gavin, please try the latest build which has improved city search. Giving exact cities which do not work is good feedback so I can test the results myself. (I think since I started this post, I was able to delete your double post.)

@jkl, thanks for the feedback; keep it coming.

• gavin

gavin - 2015-12-02

Jerry, in the latest build both those cities and the relevant info come up fine now. Thanks for sorting that out so quickly.

The only other thing that's worth mentioning is that the various weather icons (rain, clouds etc) are not displaying as they did in the previous version. Doesn't matter whether the 'show weather icons' box is checked or not, there is no sign of them either in the menu bar or in the sub menus. If selected in prefs, the Meteo icon does show in the menu bar though.

Anyway thanks again for putting in the effort and time to get meteorologist up and running again. I appreciate it.

• elfpix

elfpix - 2015-12-02

Emily, I try to announce news here while the builds are temporarily hosted at zzz0. Ideally, I could contribute my patches here, but the original admin seems inactive. As for the preferences file, that should be </Users>[username]/Library/Preferences/com.heat.meteo.plist>. I doubt Meteorologist would delete it.

Thanks. I had saved the file with the original announcement of the new host. I did dig it out of the folder I'd put it in and find the newest version, and it did install when I put it into my Applications Folder. However it would not install from the Desktop.

However, despite deleting the plist file, all the pref info in it was copied into the new install anyway.

Hmm.

And, in addition, although Meteo now does show in the menu bar, it does not seek data from online upon launch, nor at any further time, nor does it respond to the Refresh command.

Another hmmm.

Thank you so much for working on this. I can't tell you how many times every day I glance up there to find the temp and have to resort to my iPhone to get to Wunderground! Habits run deep and Meteo is well entrenched!

MacBook Pro 2013, Mtn. Lion.

Emily L. Ferguson
      mailto:elf@landsedgephoto.com
      774-269-5968
      New England landscapes, wooden boats and races
      http://www.landsedgephoto.com

• EdwardD20

EdwardD20 - 2015-12-02

A lot of preference information is kept in memory. If you delete a pref file but don't restart your computer, it will often use the copy that's held in memory.

1 2 3 .. 6 > >> (Page 1 of 6)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks