Menu

script to check if mail server etc alive

2006-03-07
2013-04-09
  • Nobody/Anonymous

First I must say it's a great product. Is it possible to have a script to telnet to IP + PORT and  create an error if it doesn't get a welcome. Say if you have a mail server sitting on 127.0.0.1 143. Thanks

viv Burrows

• Vittorio Pavesi

Vittorio Pavesi - 2006-03-07

What do you mean for "get a welcome" ?
      I've been suggested to use w3sockets from http://tech.dimac.net to script a telnet.

• Nobody/Anonymous

When email packages are installed there is quite often a button to check connectivity, they do this by checking if they get a welcome message back from the remote server pop3 imap or smtp, you either get a valid response back or a welcome from the server software

Viv

• Nobody/Anonymous

sorry I meant to say INvalid response back- due to time out trying to connect

• Vittorio Pavesi

Vittorio Pavesi - 2006-03-07

Hello viv,
        you can implement it using HealthMonitor's Custom Script Check with a script that open a socket connection and return OK if it can connect.
        I "googled" for a vbscript/batch solution but I didn't find anything, moreover  I tried to implement the same solution of CheckPing.vbs but it didn't works...
        If you find something a solution to script it, I'll be happy to help you !

Vittorio

• Nobody/Anonymous

I am going to see if using Putty I can make anything worthwhile happen.

Viv