Nathan Walker - 2004-02-27

Well, Gordon set me to the task of designing a new guild system.  I've got a few ideas I want to throw around, but let me give you the basic idea as it stands right now:

There will be a set of guilds scattered around the world - at least one for each class, but they will also be broken down by alignment, and maybe race.  For instance, there would be three guilds for clerics: ie, evil clerics, neutral clerics, good clerics, but only one (probably) for paladins, since they must be good-aligned.

These guilds will offer static quests for each of their members, of varying difficulty from newbie to hero, and completion of these quests will lead to an increase of rank in the guild, which will in turn give access to guild-only skills and whatnot.  As it stands, I have 40 20-room zones set aside to put this together, but I might not use all 40, and they might not all be 20 rooms.

Among the quests that will be available will be quests that interact with the various other guilds.  For instance, a memeber of the evil cleric guild might have an assignment where he is to infiltrate a good-aligned cleric guild and desecrate their altar, and a previous quest might require them to find and combine the components of whatever mixture is to be used on the target altar.

So the first question I'd like to put forth is this: what if we set this up as a limited PvP system.  What I've got in my head goes like this: We'd come up with a secondary arena room_flag - all the rooms in the guilds would use this flag, and they would enable the members of a given guild to attack and kill invaders.  I say a 'secondary' arena flag because I think this one should behave differently than the standard arena fights.  For instance, maybe there should be some looting involved, although I wouldnt want to say that you could loot everything.  Also, I'd want to make it so you could only fight players that are of an equivilent guild ranking, so you don't get heroes crunching all the noobs

thoughts?