Connection Pooling with Pgbouncer on Postgres Plus AS

Ilvero
2013-06-12
2013-06-12
  • Ilvero

Ilvero - 2013-06-12

Hi,

would connection pooling with pgbouncer on Postgres Plus AS improve the TPC-C benchmark performance results when the number of virtual users is very large e.g. 1000?
    I have succeeded to create virtual users connecting to the the database server on port 6432 (the port that pg_bouncer is listening to) , but i am not able run the virtual users. I am getting the following warning for each user: "Warning: a running Virtual User was terminated, any pending output has been discarded". Any suggestion what could cause this warning?

Best regards,
    Audrius

• Steve Shaw

Steve Shaw - 2013-06-12

Hi,

No I don't connection pooling is not appropriate here. For the workload each user connects once and potentially does the maximum workload that the server can sustain so if you are looking for maximum performance you should see how many connections are required to reach that point and use that number for peak performance testing. With PostgreSQL this is likely to be a limitation with the database before it reaches the limitation of the hardware. You can use your DRITA reports to see where the time is being spent however for a transactional workload "proc array lock acquire" is common. With current releases you will need considerably less than 1000 connections to reach peak performance.

Cheers,

Steve

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks