Hamlib/perl for yfklog/yfktest on Ubuntu

Help
Joe Barr
2008-05-04
2013-01-15
  • Joe Barr

Joe Barr - 2008-05-04

I've been beating my head against a wall trying to get yfktest.pl (fabian's contest logger) to work on Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.  No luck.  I'm told that Hamlib/perl is broken in the Debian and Ubuntu implementations, and that if I compile Hamlib from source and replace the distro .so libs with the home compiled versions, I can bypass the error.  So far, I haven't been able to do that either.

I note that Hamlib.pm is in the hamlib-perl package.  But even if I configure the make process using --with-perl-binding, Hamlib.pm doesn't get created unless I also install swig.  After installing swig, Hamlib.pm does get built, but the make fails for tcl/other problems.

Has anyone gotten yfktest.pl or yfklog.pl successfully working with hamlib on Ubuntu?  TIA for any help or suggestions.

Joe/W5CT

• Stéphane Fillod

Hi Joe,
      That's right, the Hamlib releases are fine regarding the perl binding. I tested yfktest.pl, and it works with locally built package. Since Ubuntu derives from Debian, you should file a bug against the Hamlib package at http://packages.qa.debian.org/h/hamlib.html The problem is that the .so is missing linkage against libhamlib. If need be, I can help Joop (the maintainer of the debian package) to fix this issue.

To workaround your "tcl/other problems", you may either satisfy the dependency (tcl-dev, python-dev, ...), or pass "--without-tcl-binding --without-python-binding --disable-static" to the configure command line.

Stephane - F8CFE