Menu

security

Help
2009-05-14
2012-09-28
  • David McReynolds

Sorry for the multiple posts.

I cannot store ANY credentials in clear text. Is there a way to avoid having the username and password for synchronization stored in the cluster's config xml?

• Paul Ferraro

Paul Ferraro - 2009-05-14

Currently, no.
      Honestly, I haven't given this much thought, since I've never considered this to be a serious requirement. Config files can always be secured via OS-level file system encryption, if necessary.
      I suppose I might implement this via additional connection properties for specifying an encoded symmetric key and algorithm name. If defined, HA-JDBC could use these to construct a cipher to decrypt the values of any password fields in the configuration file.
      Thoughts?

• David McReynolds

Or perhaps just provide a hook into a user provided class (via an interface) that implements the algorithm. I only have my personal experience and we have rolled our own encryption/decryption stuff which appears to not implement anything one would consider a "standard" algorithm.

• Yang Li

Yang Li - 2011-12-07

I have the same problem with this, our business doesn't allow us to store any
    password in plain text. Do I have to put password in ha-jdbc-cluster.xml file?

Thanks.

• Paul Ferraro

Paul Ferraro - 2011-12-07

In 2.0.x, yes, the password needs to go in the config file.
    In svn trunk, I've implemented pluggable password codec mechanism. I haven't
    yet provided an easy way to supply the CodecFactory to use to decrypt
    passwords. I suspect a system property is best. It's a little strange to
    obscure the passwords in a configuration, while the same file identifies the
    obfuscation mechanism. Thoughts?